PDA

View Full Version : Why Is There Tape Behind The License Plate?

Kappy
06-07-2015, 03:12 PM
There are 2" squares of tape surrounding both of the holes behind the rear license plate on my car. The squares aren't aligned with each other, and one is so crooked it sticks out above the top edge of the plate, although you have to get down at eye level to see it.

The tape is extremely thin and can't be providing much protection between the plate and the paint. Does it serve a purpose- as in what's it doing there is the first place? - or is it okay to remove it? I tried to peel up a corner of the tape and it tears easily, leaving a lot of dried adhesive behind.

Thanks in advance.

MI Mike
06-07-2015, 04:31 PM
This may have been another dealer installed option ??? Put there sometime back to prevent the license plate from hitting the paint. My plate was installed with felt at the bottom edge. Positioned to prevent plate hitting body, etc.

SYMAWD
06-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Usually to prevent a rattle when closing the hatch/ trunk. Audi tapes on their brackets in addition to screws simply to quiet unwanted sounds.

J Cole
06-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Is this thin tape just around the plastic inserts that allow for the license plate screws?

I'm not sure that would help the paint or stop any rattling.

When I work on a vehicle and it shows signs of the license plate damaging the paint I have little rubber pieces with adhesive on one side that I'll stick to the license plate so that it doesn't damage the paint further.

Kappy
06-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Is this thin tape just around the plastic inserts that allow for the license plate screws?

I'm not sure that would help the paint or stop any rattling.

When I work on a vehicle and it shows signs of the license plate damaging the paint I have little rubber pieces with adhesive on one side that I'll stick to the license plate so that it doesn't damage the paint further.

Yes, the tape is very thin and over the inserts.

The license plate is in a recessed area on the rear door of my SUV. Unless the tape is preventing the license plate screw retainers themselves from rattling, the tape isn't holding anything else. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and post it.

jsgntulok
06-07-2015, 07:25 PM
I always thought the tape was to prevent water from getting in side the trunk while in transit. Other than that I don't think it serves any purpose at all so I remove it.

hollerstiltner
06-07-2015, 10:34 PM
We used to put thick tape/insulation behind the plate to keep the subs from rattling it too loudly.

kevin_1981
06-08-2015, 01:16 AM
What holler said...

BillE
06-08-2015, 08:02 AM
I always thought the tape was to prevent water from getting in side the trunk while in transit. Other than that I don't think it serves any purpose at all so I remove it.

BINGO!

Bill

Kappy
06-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Not very exciting, but here's a photo of the tape above the top of the license plate.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/TapeBehindPlate.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/95639)

The tape is very brittle and well-stuck. It's so thin that I don't really see what purpose it serves, and maybe was just used to keep water out of the inserts during transit. I thought I would try some type of heat from either a hair dryer or steamer to soften it, and see if it could be removed more easily.