PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Detailing in Rain

Nabors
06-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Hey everyone!

I've started a small mobile detailing company for extra college money and have done a few cars for friends of my parents.

Before I start the larger marketing, how do I deal with the rain? Florida natives know that Summer afternoons are almost a guaranteed storm.

For those with garages that are not cluttered enough that I could wash outside and dry/interior inside, it won't be a problem. But what do I do about those people who have an afternoon appointment smack dab in the middle of a storm?

I was thinking using my tent and fabricating some sides to it, but I'm open to suggestions! I'm only doing Friday, Saturday and Sundays so I can keep the weekdays 100% dedicated to studying and school.

custmsprty
06-06-2015, 02:48 PM
I too live in Florida, not much you can do, even a large pop up won't cover the entire vehicle or stop a lightning bolt, speaking of Lightning Bolts, heading out the door to the Stanley Cup Final Game to right now!!!

Nabors
06-06-2015, 02:49 PM
I too live in Florida, not much you can do, even a large pop up won't cover the entire vehicle or stop a lightning bolt, speaking of Lightning Bolts, heading out the door to the Stanley Cup Final Game to right now!!!

Awesome! Don't be too much of bad luck!

Ebg18t
06-06-2015, 03:39 PM
speaking of Lightning Bolts, heading out the door to the Stanley Cup Final Game to right now!!!

We are heading out shortly too, just waiting for our ride to show up. See you there. Lol.

DogRescuer
06-06-2015, 07:49 PM

How dare you treat the rangers like that.

slidder
06-06-2015, 09:54 PM
This should be a no brainer problem. :>) When I first started detailing and although I live in Oregon, I too would get stuck with rain storms. Before I bought my current home, I looked at all the "canvas" covers ~ the ones you can park a HUGE RV under. They come in various sizes - tall, wide, long, etc. They are perfect for not only washing a vehicle but if you get one that is big enough, you can set up a portable detailing cart inside too. They come with both ends opened, one end opened, both ends closed or one end closed. Just don't buy any of the plastic ones. Won't last through a good wind storm.

Hit Google and type in canvas carports or RV carports. When you are done using one of these, they sell really fast and can be taken down or set up with very little work.

Now that I have moved to an acre ~ house with a "large" shop I can wash the vehicles inside the shop.

Other suggestion: Try using the "Waterless Wash" products. They are fantastic for vehicles that are not covered in mud or extremely heavy dust. Spray a section, wipe it off using one of the proper towels. I use that on the wife's new Avalon, in the garage, when it needs just a little tender cleaning.

Good luck and stay in college.

P.S. Lighting!! Not much is safe when it comes to the great fire from the sky. However, if you get one of the canvas covers, once you set it up, drive a very long metal rod into the ground (a little distance away from the cover). Take a small, flexable wire, attach that to this rod and then run the wire over to one of the metal stakes that holds up the canvas cover. That is called a "lighting rod." If lighting was to strike, it normally goes directly to the metal rod in the ground. A lot of people use this method to protect their homes. Just don't run the wire to your main electrical box. LOL

Nabors
06-07-2015, 08:54 AM
This should be a no brainer problem. :>) When I first started detailing and although I live in Oregon, I too would get stuck with rain storms. Before I bought my current home, I looked at all the "canvas" covers ~ the ones you can park a HUGE RV under. They come in various sizes - tall, wide, long, etc. They are perfect for not only washing a vehicle but if you get one that is big enough, you can set up a portable detailing cart inside too. They come with both ends opened, one end opened, both ends closed or one end closed. Just don't buy any of the plastic ones. Won't last through a good wind storm.

Hit Google and type in canvas carports or RV carports. When you are done using one of these, they sell really fast and can be taken down or set up with very little work.

Now that I have moved to an acre ~ house with a "large" shop I can wash the vehicles inside the shop.

Other suggestion: Try using the "Waterless Wash" products. They are fantastic for vehicles that are not covered in mud or extremely heavy dust. Spray a section, wipe it off using one of the proper towels. I use that on the wife's new Avalon, in the garage, when it needs just a little tender cleaning.

Good luck and stay in college.

P.S. Lighting!! Not much is safe when it comes to the great fire from the sky. However, if you get one of the canvas covers, once you set it up, drive a very long metal rod into the ground (a little distance away from the cover). Take a small, flexable wire, attach that to this rod and then run the wire over to one of the metal stakes that holds up the canvas cover. That is called a "lighting rod." If lighting was to strike, it normally goes directly to the metal rod in the ground. A lot of people use this method to protect their homes. Just don't run the wire to your main electrical box. LOL

I'm looking into offering the waterless wash, but the issue still arises that some people use their garages as storage rather than for their cars. I don't mind washing in the rain. Luckily the storms only last about 30 minutes to an hour.

TFTADetail
06-08-2015, 07:57 AM
I use the canopies and have added the side curtains for these reasons. Even with a breeze blowing the rain around the vehicle stays dry.

jarred767
06-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Rain is tough, lucky for you its passing storms that you can wait out if needed. I used to work in Seattle where it was more of a constant drizzle, so it was tough. I found a lot of it depended on learning if the customer had a garage available or where I was working in a parking garage and trying to schedule jobs that needed cover (polishing/waxing) around the weather. I also tried juggling customers as much as possible. (If it was gonna rain, I'd try to bump someone up who had a garage for me to work in).

Also, for smaller jobs that don't require (the customer doesn't want) full polishing, I recently switch to using Hydr02 for my sealant and a Nanoskin mitt for my clay. This way, if I had to, I could do a full wash, clay, sealant in the rain. Not fun, but still gets the job done.

Or just take a break in your car while the storm passes over works too :D good luck man!