PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

ski2
06-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Mike--thanks for your as usual thorough and complete review of the Boss System!!!

Under what circumstances would you recommend the G15 and when the G21??

Mike Phillips
06-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Mike--thanks for your as usual thorough and complete review of the Boss System!!!

Under what circumstances would you recommend the G15 and when the G21??

The original idea behind the Rupes tools was to match the pad size to the panel to be buffed so in theory and practice my guess is the same application would apply to the Boss tools.

Thus the G21 with the 7" pad would primarily be for buffing out large flat panels and the G15 would be for buffing out smaller, thinner curved panels.

In my Flex 3401 how-to book (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-polisher-book.html)I strongly recommend to get the Lake Country 4" backing plate for this same idea. That is use large 6.5" pads on the Flex for large flat panels and use the smaller 5" pads for smaller thinner panels.

This same idea applies to most tools.

I've only buffed out one vehicle with the Boss System. It was given to me just a few days before I left for the California trip to shoot the new AG TV commercial. As I get time I plan to buff out some more cars to really get a feel for these new tools.

I will tell you this though, I have buffed out a lot cars and a few boats using the BigFoot 21 and the BigFoot 15 and while I've found that matching the pad size and thus the tool to the panel is a good rule of thumb, I have been able to tackle most panels using the 7" pad on the BigFoot 21 simply by changing the technique by which I hold the tool.

My guess is this same practice will apply to the G21 and if that's the case then using the right technique the G21 with 7" pads would be a very versatile choice.

What makes this topic interesting is the fact that Griot's intends for people to swap backing plates around, meaning you have the choice to use the smaller backing plate on the G21 and the larger backing plate on the G15. I'm not sure how well using the larger backing plate and pad would be on the G15 or if there would be any benefit but I do know that some people like to use the smaller pads on these types of tools with the larger orbit stroke length. RUPES never intended this for their tools, that's an American thing.

Kind of comes back down to how sooner or later everyone finds a system that works for them... but in order find that system a person first must spend some time behind the tool and in my opinion buff out a lot of cars.

Also just to note, yesterday I grabbed a BigFoot 21 and a G21 and held each for a brief moment and my internal scale told me the G21 was a tick heavier. Not enough to matter to me for any reason at all as it relates to using either tool to buff out cars.

:)

TroyScherer
06-10-2015, 09:03 AM
This new system has me excited. I was hoping for a slightly lower price point but I would love to get my hands on one.

Can you imagine what the next few years in the detailing world will bring?!?!?!?!

Dereksdtail
06-10-2015, 09:26 AM
This new system has me excited. I was hoping for a slightly lower price point but I would love to get my hands on one.

Can you imagine what the next few years in the detailing world will bring?!?!?!?!

I'm there with ya, I think we are about to see a lot of game changers!

Legacykid
06-10-2015, 10:31 AM
So I have the 25' cord on my GG6, with this ill need an extension cord. Im not to savvy in the field of electricity. Should I purchase a certain type of extension cord. The one I own is old, I use it for a fan and a small LED light. I dont know if it will rob power or degrade the life etc.

Junebug
06-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Good thing my boss took the afternoon off, a review and 13 pages of comments is quite a bit to read and digest! My thoughts, first, to all the Flex fans - happy for ya, but I hated mine and traded it to Todd Helme for his Cyclo. Next, I was considering the Rupes but after trying one out, it just didn't feel like it was all that. It's hard to pin point exactly what, maybe after all the hype I had unreasonable expectations, I don't know. But, it just didn't do it for me and I have read enough "meh" comments about it to realize that I'm not alone. So, I was considering the Makita B06040 and it too had a few things that bugged me, so I just held off. There are a few Rupes knock-off's that are cheaper by a hundred or more bucks out there, but how good are they?
Thanks to AG and Mike for posting this review, I think that GG has a good name and rep for customer service and hey, Rasky likes it so there's that. The conclusion is I am glad I waited, but, I just spent my tool money on my youngest daughter. Dads - you know it happens, and she'll never know it cost me a new buffer, and I'd still do it even if I had seen this article first. Now I'm motivated to detail more and get enough cash to get one of these. In the mean time, ya'll post more reviews and tips!

Bunky
06-10-2015, 12:30 PM

The G21 is now $327 after the 15% no exclusions discount.

TroyScherer
06-10-2015, 12:32 PM
The G21 is now $327 after the 15% no exclusions discount.

I need the Vega Deal of the day.....

d33p
06-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Any input on the new Griots pad choices? How are the MF pads?

OCD Detailing
06-10-2015, 03:05 PM
We have the Rupes 21, the 75 and the Duetto. The 21 and 75 have been amazing. The Duetto seems a little low on power. We were about to pull the trigger on another 21 but thinking about the Boss now. More power (who cares if it doesn't need more power, a man wants more power just so he can say he has more power)and the variable trigger. I do plan on sticking with Rupes pads. They seem to be the only pads that last for us. Whether you like the Boss or not, it's entry is good for us. It may cause Rupes to up its game.

As far as "needing" this to do a good job? I think there are those that buy based on need and those that find the need to buy. New stuff is fun to buy even if it does the same job as stuff you already have.

Mike@ShineStruck
06-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Sounds great
they should of uped Rupes in reguards to rhe throw and made a 22mm or more

I still may pull the trigger on a cyclo for my first polisher due to it being multi purpose with the carpet brush heads

RaskyR1
06-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Any input on the new Griots pad choices? How are the MF pads?

The new pads are great. The MF are very similar to the B&S MF, but with a thinner (thank god) foam backing. Comparing to Megs MF pads I would say they finish down better, but maybe give up a hair on cut. However, the Fast Cut MF pads (no foam backing) are defect killers and seem to feel smoother then the Megs Extra Cut MF. I love using them with the Fast Correct Cream! On hard German clear like this Audi, the above combo quickly eliminated all defects and was almost LSP ready!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/0A2DCA6E-7EA9-4765-96FF-A860430350E9.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/0A2DCA6E-7EA9-4765-96FF-A860430350E9.jpg.html)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/A514039F-6583-46CF-9260-0D86A6941686.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/A514039F-6583-46CF-9260-0D86A6941686.jpg.html)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/EAD65A0C-6907-4255-942E-BBD82BD039E2.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/EAD65A0C-6907-4255-942E-BBD82BD039E2.jpg.html)

The foam pads are great too and I'd say they are very similar to the new Megs Foam Discs, but with the addition of one more foam choice. I used both during my testing since I only had so many Griot's pads to work with. The yellow and black seem to be on par with the Megs pads, but I think the Megs Burgundy would fall in beween the Griot's orange and white pad. The white pads is pretty stiff but cuts VERY well while typically finishing down better then MF.

OCD Detailing
06-10-2015, 04:37 PM
That's good to hear. I like the Meg's MF but they seem to come apart pretty quickly on us. Maybe I will try the griots.

d33p
06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
I guess AG doesn't have those fast cut pads yet?

The foam pads are closed euro cell so I wonder if they are similar to b&s pads?

Trying to decide if I want to order the g15 combo with 5 pads to choose.

I already have some LC HD orbital pads, rupes pads and LC flat pads. Currently no MF pads though. Should I grab 5 MF pads?

RaskyR1
06-10-2015, 05:23 PM
I guess AG doesn't have those fast cut pads yet?

The foam pads are closed euro cell so I wonder if they are similar to b&s pads?

Trying to decide if I want to order the g15 combo with 5 pads to choose.

I already have some LC HD orbital pads, rupes pads and LC flat pads. Currently no MF pads though. Should I grab 5 MF pads?

The Fast Cut pads were out prior to the BOSS release. ;)
Griots Garage 5 inch Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-mf-pad.html)

I like the fast Cut a lot but you may need to used foam backed ones or the Innerflex pad on some more curved sections.