PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

SonOfOC
06-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Good to know with the little extra power comes added weight. Nice machine nonetheless.

Legacykid
06-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing they were weighed with out accessories and backing plates. Pretty common actually, just like motorcycles always list the "dry" weight.

I get why people are skeptical of this. I am a skeptic of anything new. But I dont know why people are tripping over a pound. I mean in the grand scheme of things is it something .7lbs up or down is going to persuade someone. Weight distapution does play a roll depending where it is held, like I believe you mentioned they have a different center.

From what I see and what is advertised is a well made inside and out machine. With all supporting mods included, with a "warranty" and unless the angels of the curves the the exact same specifications of another that has a patent it does not matter. Just look at the huge Samsung vs Apple war. The Rupes system is known and has a name. If GG took pointers and had made their best version of what it is and maybe addressed some short comings of the Rupes that many people have spoken of. Then dont we all win. Doesnt this mean that Rupes now has to "strike back"

Competition breeds Innovation

d33p
06-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing they were weighed with out accessories and backing plates. Pretty common actually, just like motorcycles always list the "dry" weight.

Except the machine comes with the backing plate so Im a little surprised its not part of the listed weight. Its like weighing a car without wheels lol

Then again, the backing plate cant weight 1lb. 5.1lb to 6.1lb means something isnt right here.

RaskyR1
06-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Except the machine comes with the backing plate so Im a little surprised its not part of the listed weight. Its like weighing a car without wheels lol

Then again, the backing plate cant weight 1lb. 5.1lb to 6.1lb means something isnt right here.

I honestly don't know the reason. The Rupes is listed wrong as well so I can only assume it's something like that.

RaskyR1
06-09-2015, 11:14 AM
I get why people are skeptical of this. I am a skeptic of anything new. But I dont know why people are tripping over a pound. I mean in the grand scheme of things is it something .7lbs up or down is going to persuade someone. Weight distapution does play a roll depending where it is held, like I believe you mentioned they have a different center.

From what I see and what is advertised is a well made inside and out machine. With all supporting mods included, with a "warranty" and unless the angels of the curves the the exact same specifications of another that has a patent it does not matter. Just look at the huge Samsung vs Apple war. The Rupes system is known and has a name. If GG took pointers and had made their best version of what it is and maybe addressed some short comings of the Rupes that many people have spoken of. Then dont we all win. Doesnt this mean that Rupes now has to "strike back"

Competition breeds Innovation

The weight of a tool is really a non issue for me but a lighter tool is always welcome.

Yes! In fact my closing statement in my review over on the DI AAP Blog suggest just that. :)

"However, I feel the G15 and G21 are better tools in every way and if you are in the market for a new large-throw DA, my opinion is that THE BOSS™ just raised the bar to a significantly higher standard and threw down the DA gauntlet. The detailing industry has been exploding with great products, tools, and innovation over the past few years, fueled by a drive for excellence and thirst for competition and the top spot on the podium. Thus, with the release of these new Griot’s tools, I’m somehow reminded of the long history of the Camaro vs. the Mustang. Your move Rupes!"

roguegeek
06-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Hey Rogue,

I can give my $.02 on this.

Thanks Rasky. This was invaluable feedback and is very much appreciated!

Armval
06-09-2015, 12:57 PM
I ordered the 15mm Boss, along with the carrying case.
This is my very first DA. Never once used a DA before. I primarily will be using it for applying wax (P21S wax) every 2 weeks on my new 2015 Prius. I will post my newbie opinion about it after I use it. :)

trekkeruss
06-09-2015, 01:14 PM
This is my very first DA. Never once used a DA before. I primarily will be using it for applying wax (P21S wax) every 2 weeks on my new 2015 Prius.

A sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail? Well ... enjoy it. But please in the future use it for more than spreading wax!

expdetailing
06-09-2015, 01:24 PM
This is my very first DA. Never once used a DA before. I primarily will be using it for applying wax (P21S wax) every 2 weeks on my new 2015 Prius. I will post my newbie opinion about it after I use it. :)

Congratulations! I bet you're going to love the machine. It looks better than the Rupes in every aspect, IMO.
Maybe you could order some finishing polish, or a paintwork cleanser so that you can polish-away with your new machine. Don't forget a mild glass polish too!

RaskyR1
06-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Congrats! Definitely overkill for applying a wax, but you can always pick up some polishes later and baby step into it. ;)

Armval
06-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Might be overkill for my current application. I will polish the car in a year time since its brand new. Don't want to take out too much clear coat since its still perfect at the moment. Looking forward to play with it ! :)

expdetailing
06-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Might be overkill for my current application. I will polish the car in a year time since its brand new. Don't want to take out too much clear coat since its still perfect at the moment. Looking forward to play with it ! :)

If you get a finishing polish, you can polish as much as you would like without having to worry about clear coat. It would take a very long time to polish through your clear with a finishing polish. Besides, how else are you going to remove those marring marks from claying? I'm giving you all kinds of excuses to run that polisher, and they're all valid.:props:

roguegeek
06-09-2015, 01:43 PM
When I bought my original original 7424, that was really the only option out there. Less so when I picked up the XP, but still, the field was very slim. I've been in heaven being able to do some serious testing with a LHR 15ES and 3401 for the last several weeks. The Boss looks like another great solution and I have no doubt it will be just as good, if not better than the Rupes. I mean, seriously, what can you knock on it if you haven't tried it? Made in China? If a tool is a good tool with good support, that's all that matters, right?

So looking at it through that eye, I'm really happy to see more options out there today.

Still, I'm picking up the 3401 next as it's just better for my needs. :cheers:

kecko
06-09-2015, 02:23 PM
I bought the GG6 about 2 months ago and have yet to use it due to weather, work and just life. Debating on whether I should sell it off and just buy the BOSS. For all you pro's out there I have never used a polisher. Have always done things by hand so I'm wondering....

Do you think I should keep it or should I just take a leap of faith and purchase the BOSS? I'm assuming all the pads I've bought for the GG6 will no longer work with the BOSS.

RaskyR1
06-09-2015, 02:32 PM
I bought the GG6 about 2 months ago and have yet to use it due to weather, work and just life. Debating on whether I should sell it off and just buy the BOSS. For all you pro's out there I have never used a polisher. Have always done things by hand so I'm wondering....

Do you think I should keep it or should I just take a leap of faith and purchase the BOSS? I'm assuming all the pads I've bought for the GG6 will no longer work with the BOSS.

Why not try out the GG6 first?

That pads you have now will work on the BOSS too, as long as it's equipped with the same size backing plate. G15 comes with a 5" plate and G21 comes with a 6" plate.