PDA

View Full Version : Wax failing?

DogRescuer
06-06-2015, 06:06 AM
For you guys/gals that still wax

What are some tell tale signs that its nearing time for a rewax?

Steve

RTexasF
06-06-2015, 06:40 AM
If it's been four weeks since the last time.......

Ebg18t
06-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Steve - do you really mean failing? Or just wearing off?

DogRescuer
06-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Steve - do you really mean failing? Or just wearing off?

I thought both were the same??

Don M
06-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Most people look to water beading/sheeting as their indicator that the wax is failing/fading. Mike Phillips suggests that on a clean car take a clean, wadded up microfiber cloth and place it on a section of the paint. Then twist it back and forth. If you get a squeaky noise, your wax is gone, if it is silent, you still have wax protection.

Zubair
06-06-2015, 07:43 AM
If it's been four weeks since the last time.......

I take it you haven't tried Collinite.

Kamakaz1961
06-06-2015, 09:56 AM
I look at the beading...if it starts sheeting and takes a while for the water to come off....that to me is a sign. Additionally, the car (in my case Black which is easier to spot imperfections) starts to look dull.

Don M post is another sign.

FUNX650
06-06-2015, 10:06 AM
If your eyes are possibly detecting that the Wax is now
experiencing a "falling way" from how it once appeared:

•First:
-Just wash and dry the hood.

•Then:
-Apply/(and remove) some of the Wax
to only one small section of the hood.

•At this point in time, take a moment to:
-Compare your face’s reflection in the just-Waxed-section of
the hood, to the not-just-recently-Waxed-sections of the hood.

•If you can see your face more clearly:
-In the waxed section (and it just looks better overall to you)...

•You will no doubt conclude that:
-Only (re)-waxing the entire car will restore the
appearance you desire.

Bob

Paul A.
06-06-2015, 11:26 AM
I've always been successful with my "baseline" comparisons. That is, with weekly washes, i know how it behaved right after it was applied. Beaded or sheeted water as good as its going to right after it was freshly applied. I then take note of how it is behaving after each weekly wash and during rinse down. No dirt left on the paint and in its cleanest, hydrophobic state. How's it look?

When i notice the gradual drop off in hydrophobic performance i reapply. Because of that i never am without at least some wax or sealant left but can tell when its going away, getting thin and just barely holding on.

I will say that is also the point in my evaluation (still wet and prior to fully drying) that i evaluate my LSP's life because i always use a QD product that most times adds a little pop and further but short lived protection. At the point or weekly wash that it's time to reapply my wax or sealant i forego the QD and break out the LSP again.

Again, in summary, i know how it looked when newly applied and use my eye to tell me after the wash and rinse if its still there or at least getting thin. Sometimes that's a week or two for waxes and maybe a month or 3 for sealants. Certainly not very scientific but i get a feel and "look" for it.

At the rate this business is coming out with new products in developing more of the science of what we do, i won't be surprised to see some tool, machine or device to measure LSP effectiveness! Maybe some strange sextant looking device to measure water bead angle or LSPTG (LSP thickness gauge). Heck, at $300 a pop, throw in a "special gift" of 2 MF towels and theyd fly off the shelves!!!

Ebg18t
06-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I thought both were the same??

I am not sure. The reason I ask is I received a bad batch Lusso wax one time. The company I purchased it from mentioned it was a failed container. It seemed to apply fine, but failed to bond to the surface. It would only last a few days if it rained or if you washed the car it basically washed away. It was very odd. They replaced it and the next container was much better and wore away (falling away) over 4-6 weeks.

DogRescuer
06-08-2015, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys