PDA

View Full Version : Question on garden hose length vs flow/psi

MrOneEyedBoh
06-05-2015, 09:20 PM
So I was wondering something here... I don't know if this is in my head or if this is something else. I noticed that when going from a 50' to a 75' hose the water spraying out of the nozzle isn't that strong . it seemed stronger with the 50' hose. Possible?

novaman
06-05-2015, 09:55 PM
So I was wondering something here... I don't know if this is in my head or if this is something else. I noticed that when going from a 50' to a 75' hose the water spraying out of the nozzle isn't that strong . it seemed stronger with the 50' hose. Possible?Only if there different circumference.

novaman

2black1s
06-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Absolutely! With a constant and equal inlet pressure the flow rate from the hose end will decrease as hose length increases.

Here's an example of the flow rate though various lengths of 5/8" hose at 50 psi inlet pressure...

50 ft. = 25 gpm (gallons per minute)
75 ft. = 18.8 gpm
100 ft. = 12.5 gpm

Reference - Garden Hose Flow and Time Calculator (http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Content/Calculators/Residential/Garden-Hose-Flow.php)

MrOneEyedBoh
06-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking. I'm also thinking what if I get a 1/2 hose versus the standard 5/8 hose, wouldn't that give me a little more perceived pressure? I mean we're washing cars here not soaking crops etc. No?

2black1s
06-05-2015, 11:11 PM
You can achieve that same "perceived" pressure by changing nozzles.

What you are actually seeing as "perceived" pressure is the combination of the velocity and volume of the water leaving the hose/nozzle, but the actual pressure is always zero once the water leaves the hose/nozzle. The velocity and the resulting force of the water will increase as you restrict the outlet opening, thus the "perceived" pressure increase.

I wouldn't change to a 1/2" hose. A 5/8" hose will always flow more than a 1/2" hose at equal pressures. I'd simply play with various nozzles.

oldmodman
06-06-2015, 03:17 AM
Last time I needed to replace a crappy, cheapo garden hose, I bit the bullet and spent the money.

I got two 50 foot all rubber 3/4 inch garden hoses at Home Depot. They were on sale for 40% off. Probably due them having about 30 on the shelf and it being the start of winter.
Yes, they are heavy and not the easiest thing to drag around. But they sure can move water.

I had a take off pipe put in the water main coming from the street before the pressure regulator so it gets full mains pressure. With these hoses and a long brass nozzle I can spray the top of a 60 year old pine tree in my front yard.

Riff
06-06-2015, 06:04 AM
What 2black said.

A longer hose will give you less flow. A smaller diameter hose will give you less flow. Both resulting in the lower "perceived" pressure you were talking about.

The nozzle is your best bet for getting the pattern and velocity you want.

BillE
06-06-2015, 06:54 AM
Absolutely! With a constant and equal inlet pressure the flow rate from the hose end will decrease as hose length increases.

Here's an example of the flow rate though various lengths of 5/8" hose at 50 psi inlet pressure...

50 ft. = 25 gpm (gallons per minute)
75 ft. = 18.8 gpm
100 ft. = 12.5 gpm

Reference - Garden Hose Flow and Time Calculator (http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Content/Calculators/Residential/Garden-Hose-Flow.php)

GREAT find on that equation!

Bill

MrOneEyedBoh
06-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks guys. I use a fireman nozzle. Is there another you recommend.