PDA

View Full Version : Bad Water Spots with Menz Carnuba Wax-Sealant

tenblade2001
06-05-2015, 08:18 AM
I usually use a sealant with synthetic spray wax but this last detail I used Menz carnuba with sealant. I loved the look and ease of use, but noticed after this last rain that I have really bad water spots. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this carnuba waxes. I haven't noticed water spots like this before. Thanks for your responses.

FUNX650
06-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Water Spots is one of the signs of using
an LSP that causes different sources of
water to take-on, among other things:
high surface tension/high contact angles.

Some will say that water spots is also one
of the drawbacks from using such an LSP...
especially in a "non-cleanroom" environment.

Bob

Ccrew
06-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Water Spots is one of the signs of using
an LSP that causes different sources of
water to take-on, among other things:
high surface tension/high contact angles.

Some will say that water spots is also one
of the drawbacks from using such an LSP...
especially in a "non-cleanroom" environment.

Interesting info, thanks. Makes perfect sense.

Loach
06-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Haven't used that product before, but I'm surprised you received a high level of heavy spotting caused by rainwater. I haven't noticed the rain cause any troubles for me here in Florida, and we usually have afternoon showers with intense sun and heat following them up. Much of the time I can't see any spotting left behind from the soft water, maybe some light dust marks at best. The reclaimed water from the sprinkler systems are what do the damage here. So I can only guess that you got hit by some nasty acid rainwater.

My testing has showed me that even lower surface tension flatter "sheeting" type products will still create a significant amount of water beading on the car during a rainstorm as most of them are still mildly hydrophobic.

tenblade2001
06-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Thank you for the replies. It is REALLY strange. So, it rained, then cleared up. When I walked up , I noticed there was good beading, but the beads were bigger than usual (usually have very tight, small beads). Then I drove off and the beads weren't sheeting off. They were staying put at 50mph!