PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Paint with no CC?

AustrianOak82
06-05-2015, 07:50 AM
So I get a call from a guy that has a Suzuki Areo. He said that he is looking to get the paint restored on it but when he had it done the last time, the shop told him there was no clear left because his red paint was getting on their pads. He left me a message wondering if there was anything I could do. He is looking to restore the paint and get some kind of sealant on there.

What are my options here? I really don't want to ruin my pads and haven't encountered this before. Can I just treat it like a single stage paint and polish and seal it? Thoughts? Thanks guys,

KS_Detailing
06-05-2015, 08:10 AM
The paint on the pad is an indicator of single stage paint but I doubt a newer car is single stage. I wouldn't touch it. Explain he needs a repaint and then you can seal it

Ccrew
06-05-2015, 08:16 AM
If it's non-metallic Red it's a single stage paint, Suzuki didn't make a solid (non-metallic) red on a Zuk badged car that wasn't. Only Aerio that had a clear coat red was 2004. Probably paint code Z9T. It's scary that the other place said that they had red on the pads, that should have been a giveaway to do some research.

I'd search here, I know there's a good Mike Phillips article on working with single stage

Most of the Whites, Yellows and Reds in the Zuks are single stage as a FYI

Edit: Found this: AerioStyle Reloaded • View topic - aerio color code (http://www.aeriostyle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10515)

Mantilgh
06-05-2015, 08:18 AM
I am not positive, but It could be single stage from the factory. I know some whites and reds are still single stage. You would think that a good body shop would know though.

Have you seen the paint in person? Should be fairly obvious if it was clear coated and it now failing in areas.

Edit: Ccrew has a more definitive answer

AustrianOak82
06-05-2015, 08:34 AM
I am not positive, but It could be single stage from the factory. I know some whites and reds are still single stage. You would think that a good body shop would know though.

Have you seen the paint in person? Should be fairly obvious if it was clear coated and it now failing in areas.

Edit: Ccrew has a more definitive answer

I haven't. He left me a message this morning. I am not sure it if's single stage or the paint is just in bad condition and the clear has worn away.

aim4squirrels
06-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Do a test spot yourself with the owner present. If you can correct it, then tell the owner you'll do your best but don't guarantee anything.

If the owner is happy with the looks of the test spot, and your terms, do the the work.

You won't be able to correct a BC/CC system's base coat. You'll know right away if it can be done.

Mike Phillips
06-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Normally the basecoat of a basecoat/clearcoat paint system won't polish to a high gloss.

So if in fact the clear has been removed I doubt even the best polishes in the world are going to create a high gloss finish as that's just not how the colored basecoat layer of paint works.

If the clear has been removed it will be easy to tell because there will be places on the panel where you should see clear and no clear, like around the edges. I don't think a person could successfully buff off 100% of the clear layer of paint to the point where you wouldn't see any clear layer at all, especially around the edges.

From this article,

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/19985-clearcoat-failure-photo-gallery-archive.html)

You can see what I mean by the word "edges" of the clear layer....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/724/ClearCoatFailure005.jpg

The basecoat layer of paint under the clearcoat layer is generally dull or flat, even when brand new; it gets it's gloss and clarity from the clear layer of paint on top of it. Once the clear layer flakes or peels off you cannot polish it to make it look good again as it has a flat or matte appearance.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/724/ClearCoatFailure006.jpg

My guess is this car has a single stage paint and the paint is simply oxidized and that's good news for you and the owner because while you CAN'T fix clearcoat failure you CAN fix oxidation.

:)