PDA

View Full Version : Newb gearing up - exterior

RichWentFishing
06-04-2015, 02:54 PM
I'd like to get a little feedback as I'm gearing up to maintain me and my girlfriend's vehicles. For the sake of efficiency I'll just focus this thread on exterior care.

Thanks to this forum my credit card is gonna take a big hit! Uh well. Buy once, cry once as they say. I'm new to doing my own detailing so please bear with me.

Vehicles:
2015 (Super White) Toyota Tundra
2014 (Midnight Garnet) Nissan Murano

Washing Gear:

Five gallon buckets (already have)
grit guards
Sun Joe SPx3000 pressure washer
MTM foam canon
Microfiber mitts
Speed Master Wheel Brush
Microfiber towels

Washing Products:

Sonax Wheel Cleaner
Wolfgang Auto Bathe

Sealing Products:

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant
DP Wheel Glaze

Maintenance Products:
Autogeek Bug Eliminator Kit (Truck box)
Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz

Questions:

1. I have chrome side bars on the Tundra. Whats a really tough sealant to keep these clean? I've only had the truck for two weeks but it seems this will be the hardest place to keep clean.

2. I'm constantly boating in brackish water on the weekends and getting the rear wheels wet is unavoidable. How often to reapply glaze on the chrome wheels?

3. What exterior trim cleaner (plastics) before applying sealant?

RichWentFishing
06-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Questions:

4. What to use to clean and seal glass with? Lots of bugs this time of year.

trekkeruss
06-04-2015, 03:20 PM
1. I personally haven't used it, but Colliinite has a stellar reputation, and their Metal Wax 850 has great reviews.

2. Again, haven't used it. Just a guess: six months.

3. I like Mother's Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, but mostly I use Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner.

I would only use Sonax for a deep cleaning on filthy wheels. For maintenance cleaning, I just use car soap (the Auto Bathe you plan to buy).

What are you going to use to protect the paint?!

You're new here ... welcome. Autogeek runs sales quite often. Wait for one before buying anything.

trekkeruss
06-04-2015, 03:28 PM
4. What to use to clean and seal glass with? Lots of bugs this time of year.

I use Meguiar's D114, sold by the gallon. It makes 11 gallons(!) of glass cleaner. If you don't want to buy in bulk, I like Sprayway best. I am currently using GTechniq G1 and G5 to seal the windshield, but honestly, I don't think either is any better than RainX. I have used Aquapel, which I did like better than RainX.

RichWentFishing
06-04-2015, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=trekkeruss;1258657]

What are you going to use to protect the paint?!

QUOTE]

I'm waiting for next paycheck to get to that. I know I have to claybar both vehicles and will most likely get a DA. I don't mind spending some money on tools if it makes life easier.