PDA

View Full Version : Need some polishing help please

Pages : [1] 2

JVince
06-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I cant seem to get a decent paint correction on my 2009 A4.

It looks like I got most of the swirls out but whats left is a bunch of small scratches everywhere. Could this be RIDS?
They dont look very deep. What are the chances that I put them in while polishing?

This is what I have done so far:

-Washed and clayed
-Used Griots Garage Polisher and 5" backing plate and used a orange Hexlogic pad with Chemical Guys V36
-Followed that up with a white Hexlogic pad with Chemical Guys V38

Also, I can't seem to get a good polish trail following the pad when im polishing. Its like theres nothing on the car once I make a pass. I primed the pad by making an X and spreading it then added 4 drops of product. Then from then on using 4-5 pea size drops. Even did half an X on the pad with the product and still the same...

Does anyone else have this problem with the V series?

custmsprty
06-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Not a fan of those polishes. Tried V38, it's been shelved for years. I also don't like hexlogic pads, I use LC and and Buff & Shine flat pads.

Kamakaz1961
06-03-2015, 08:12 PM
IMO the CG V - Series is your problem. I have used their V36 and V38. To me ALL of their product went into the trash. I am not a fan of Chemical Guys for any of their products from 1st hand experience.

Audi is hard paint. If you want excellent results, look at Menzerna FG400 for compounding and SF4000/4500 for Polish. That will bring out the shine.

The Wolfgang products or Megs 105/205 are excellent too.

From what you are describing about the polishing; you may be putting too much product on the pads. I would look at using less product in your steps. Too much product will be less effective in correcting.

JVince
06-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I was able to find these meguiars products at the store today.
How would they compare to M105 and 205?

JVince
06-03-2015, 08:59 PM
And this one

kevin_1981
06-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Check out the chart of their products:

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

rlmccarty2000
06-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I use the CG products with no problems, but I would change to a LC flat white with the V38 and follow Mike's advice about moving the polisher slowly. I think the hex logic pad is the problem.

JVince
06-04-2015, 08:03 AM
I use the CG products with no problems, but I would change to a LC flat white with the V38 and follow Mike's advice about moving the polisher slowly. I think the hex logic pad is the problem.

Do you think the orange hex pad was too aggresive? Or maybe im just not getting enough cut...

lawrenceSA
06-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Audi paint is generally on the harder side.... I haven't used any of the chemical guys polishes so cant give any first hand account of their effectiveness on harder paints.

I do however detail a fair share of Audi's and am a bit of a Menzerna lover.... so mostly with the type of damage I face (daily drivers looking for 85% to 95% correction), you need something like FG400 and either a orange foam, purple foamed wool or MF pad for the initial cut.

Then follow with a white polishing pad and SF4000 or SF4500 to remove any hazing and restore clarity to the paint.

FWIW I am a 'flat pad' kinda guy, especially with the DAT abrasive technology used by Menzerna.

Aim for 6 to 8 SLOW passes (the first 3 or 4 should be REALLY SLOW - like 1" per second arm speed - with maybe the next 3 or 4 slightly quicker but still no more than 2" per second).

Don't work in the often suggested 2' x 2' working area - it is too large.... I'd say with that machine, 16" x 16" is probably more realistic).

Remember to do a test spot.... first dial in a process that you KNOW will work on a small area and once you know what you need to do to achieve your desired results, only then replicate that across the car.....it will save you polishing out the whole car only to be left wanting....

Good luck:props:

JVince
06-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Audi paint is generally on the harder side.... I haven't used any of the chemical guys polishes so cant give any first hand account of their effectiveness on harder paints.

I do however detail a fair share of Audi's and am a bit of a Menzerna lover.... so mostly with the type of damage I face (daily drivers looking for 85% to 95% correction), you need something like FG400 and either a orange foam, purple foamed wool or MF pad for the initial cut.

Then follow with a white polishing pad and SF4000 or SF4500 to remove any hazing and restore clarity to the paint.

FWIW I am a 'flat pad' kinda guy, especially with the DAT abrasive technology used by Menzerna.

Aim for 6 to 8 SLOW passes (the first 3 or 4 should be REALLY SLOW - like 1" per second arm speed - with maybe the next 3 or 4 slightly quicker but still no more than 2" per second).

Don't work in the often suggested 2' x 2' working area - it is too large.... I'd say with that machine, 16" x 16" is probably more realistic).

Remember to do a test spot.... first dial in a process that you KNOW will work on a small area and once you know what you need to do to achieve your desired results, only then replicate that across the car.....it will save you polishing out the whole car only to be left wanting....

Good luck:props:

Thank you!

I'm going to try and get my hands on some menzerna.

When you first start off how do you prime the pad with that stuff?

I heard the X method or circle method on the pad, or some people just do 4-5 pea size drops.

irvsmith
06-04-2015, 10:54 AM
I have heard of both methods but given that both Kevin Brown and Mike Phillips have been recommending the circle - spread - 3/4 drops - I have been doing that approach. It has been working pretty well. I just use the 3/4 drops going forward with a pad cleaning every section or two.

dlc95
06-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Those pads are fine. I've used CG's Final Polish, and it turned to water. So I threw them out. Upon additional reading, it seems that their V line isn't the most aggressive. Even Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish would probably yield better results. Maybe.

JVince
06-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Those pads are fine. I've used CG's Final Polish, and it turned to water. So I threw them out. Upon additional reading, it seems that their V line isn't the most aggressive. Even Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish would probably yield better results. Maybe.

Yeah exactly what it was. It was like it turned to water or oil after a pass.

rlmccarty2000
06-04-2015, 03:17 PM
I use CG, Menzerma, Blackfire and other polishes. I get good results with all. If the defects are not coming out with the finer grade CG V prods, they do sell a V34 that I use to get tough scratches. As others have said try a test spot, least aggressive first, V38 with a white pad is a jeweling product similar to Menz 4500. If you want cut V32 or Menz 400. Both work for me. I just grab the one I think is best for the job. Oh, the pad does matter. I use Rupes too and they try to make it fool proof by color coding pads to polishes, a stroke of genius.

The Guz
06-04-2015, 04:13 PM
I was able to find these meguiars products at the store today.
How would they compare to M105 and 205?

And this one

These two Meguiar's products are fairly old school and use diminishing abrasives instead of SMAT like M105/M205.

Don't underestimate Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. They are a very good combo.

To the op someone posted that Audi's have hard paint. If that is true, consider the Meguiar's microfiber cutting discs and some D300. It's a very good combo on hard paint. Even the new Meguiar's thin foam cutting discs correct just as close to the microfiber discs. I'm a Meguiar's user so all I can recommend are Meguiar's products.

M205 would be the polish I recommend from Meguiar's.