PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get desensitized?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Busy mind
06-03-2015, 05:46 PM
I've come across cars that require some good decon before polishing lately. By the time I apply my LSP, I honestly can't see the difference the next day. Immediately I'll see a little more shine but sometimes I keep cars for a couple days and when I look at them the next day, I'm not super impressed. I've used paste wax, cream wax, sealant, and spray sealant all from the same company which is well known. I'm not seeing the warm glow or increased depth that others rave about. I see squeaky clean paint, plain and simple.

Am I just getting used to seeing clean paint?

On the similar topic, I'll have customers come by in the middle of my work and pay compliments when I still see the imperfections. It makes me wonder if I should of just done an AIO instead of a two step. I know my skills are still maturing but I'm not at a 90 percent correction capability yet.

Perhaps my expectations are too high?
Is it typical to not be totally pleased with your finished work?

To wrap up, I do see the difference from the start but the LSP stage doesn't seem to thrill me at the moment.
I'm hoping my PBL coating that just came through will make a difference.

custmsprty
06-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Not me. I definitely see the results and see them last.

medicscott
06-03-2015, 06:26 PM
I've come across cars that require some good decon before polishing lately. By the time I apply my LSP, I honestly can't see the difference the next day. Immediately I'll see a little more shine but sometimes I keep cars for a couple days and when I look at them the next day, I'm not super impressed. I've used paste wax, cream wax, sealant, and spray sealant all from the same company which is well known. I'm not seeing the warm glow or increased depth that others rave about. I see squeaky clean paint, plain and simple.

Am I just getting used to seeing clean paint?

On the similar topic, I'll have customers come by in the middle of my work and pay compliments when I still see the imperfections. It makes me wonder if I should of just done an AIO instead of a two step. I know my skills are still maturing but I'm not at a 90 percent correction capability yet.

Perhaps my expectations are too high?
Is it typical to not be totally pleased with your finished work?

To wrap up, I do see the difference from the start but the LSP stage doesn't seem to thrill me at the moment.
I'm hoping my PBL coating that just came through will make a difference.

So a few things. The KEY to a show car shine has nothing to do with LSP (well I shouldn't say nothing) but more to do with PREP PREP PREP. And what I mean by that is the steps you take way before a LSP is applied. Are you decontaminating using IronX, clay, swirl remover and or compound, Polish, sealant/coating/wax or whatever. If you prep perfectly and the clear coat isn't damaged you'll always get an amazing shine. Also are you using hand, DA, or rotary, and is your technique correct? Get Mikes book how to use a flex 3401. Best tips for the new and veteran alike.

FUNX650
06-03-2015, 06:34 PM
I consider the LSP-step to be my narcotic...
Not a narcotizer!

Bob

Busy mind
06-03-2015, 06:37 PM
These observations of mine are from when I do a wash, clay, compound and polish. I DO see the difference in these steps. Maybe I worded my first post incorrectly. It's just the LSP stage that doesn't make me go crazy. I haven't used Iron X yet. Only just received a sample bottle yesterday since AG is on back order. The last truck I did,the guys buddies thought he got it re-painted. So they noticed the end difference but I couldn't see a huge change once I applied Blacklight from CG.

cduprey
06-03-2015, 06:42 PM
I don't do this for money, but I can agree with you on the desensitization. I tried to correct a newer Camry that was trashed (imo new Toyota paint quality is junk) that I wanted to get to 90% and I maybe got 75-80. The owner was ecstatic but all I see are imperfections. I say: if your customers are happy, you're doing something right!

I'm actually thinking about hd speed as an aio and seeing what my buddies think. If we go in with the mentality it won't be perfect, maybe we will be happier in the end?

medicscott
06-03-2015, 06:44 PM
These observations of mine are from when I do a wash, clay, compound and polish. I DO see the difference in these steps. Maybe I worded my first post incorrectly. It's just the LSP stage that doesn't make me go crazy. I haven't used Iron X yet. Only just received a sample bottle yesterday since AG is on back order. The last truck I did,the guys buddies thought he got it re-painted. So they noticed the end difference but I couldn't see a huge change once I applied Blacklight from CG.

You'll see an insane difference after you apply the PBL coating you have. It's got an intense shine right after application. Make sure you properly prep with their BL Polish 1st

Kamakaz1961
06-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Not me. I definitely see the results and see them last.

:iagree: I love to see the final results. I also like to see the persons face after they see the car detailed. I have been detailing for years and still have fun and enjoy the thrill of a complete detail.

You probably need a break and IMO maybe you are burnt out. Just start seeing the little things like a smile that may bring you back into the game.

Audios S6
06-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Experience will tell you that 90% of the look is in the correction and polishing, not the wax. With some of the coatings out there you do get a unique look that is noticeable. Regardless, any LSP over a crappy paint finish will just be a protected crappy paint finish; and that goes for mediocre paint finish too.

To take it a step further, any paint can look shiny at a very shallow angle of view, but when looking straight on with proper light, you can definitely see a difference.

swanicyouth
06-03-2015, 08:00 PM
I've used paste wax, cream wax, sealant, and spray sealant all from the same company which is well known.

What company? Maybe this is your problem? If you don't name names - it's hard to help.

Busy mind
06-04-2015, 12:04 AM
What company? Maybe this is your problem? If you don't name names - it's hard to help.

I didn't want to name names but since you asked, all my LSP stuff is from Chemical Guys. Jet Seal, Pete's 53, Extreme liquid carnauba with x seal, hardcore xxx wax, Blacklight. I actually did notice a difference when applying the $20 xxx wax on my own car a few months ago. Made a huge difference after a simple wash and clay. I just haven't seen that transformation since then in other cars. Maybe it's the hype that go into these products that leaves me with greater expectations.

Also I did notice a change on my black test panel where I applied Blacklight, but since then I haven't seen the same "enhancement". Maybe I am burnt out.

I understand most of the finish is in the correction and LSP is 5-10 percent of it. I'm not questioning that part of the detail. The cars that require a partial correction aren't looking like crap, I'm just expecting more from the LSP. The stuff I use does bead and sheet ok, just not the visual I'm hoping for. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you for the responses so far.

medicscott
06-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Send us a few pictures of the cars completed and we can go from there. Try to post links so they are in higher resolution. Maybe you are doing such a good job at your prep that the wax can't compete and your just sealing in the goodness!

medicscott
06-04-2015, 12:15 AM
I also find that when I do white cars only the LSP usually underwhelms me, but all other colors go bam.

JHL88
06-04-2015, 02:49 AM
I just bought a new truck with quicksilver metallic paint. I traded in my precious truck which was graystone metallic. The silver has been pretty underwhelming compared to the grey.

Don M
06-04-2015, 07:20 AM
I've often noticed that after a full correction, I've become "blind" to the condition of the paint and have to ask the owner or a 'bystander' how the car looks because I can't tell, all I see are the imperfections that I couldn't remove or areas that I think could have been done better. It's like I've stared at the car so long, that I can no longer "see" it, at least not the "whole picture."