PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Red Civic Si - SOOFFFTT

courtdale
06-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Just returned after a layoff and wanted to thank Autogeek for my detailing education. Had I not spent time learning here a few years ago, I surely would have ruined the paint on a Civic I brought home last week. Knowing that all paints are not created equal, I was sure to research before I started buffing away. The car is in relatively good shape, but had more than its fair share of swirls and rids. Without my AG knowledge I definitely would have tore into this with the wrong pad and probably Meg's compound. I'm coming off of working with an older Black BMW 325i which I was able to blast away on without worry.

Plan was to go in with kid gloves and see what kind of results I'd get with an initial gental approach. I clayed, and then worked a 12" section of hood as a test with the following:

Quick 2 step using Green and Blue LC Pads
Menzerna Power & Super Finish

I used almost no extra pressure outside of what gravity and the wieght of the Makita provided, and never went above #2 on the speed setting.

A quick wipe with some spray detailer and finished. I was very surprised with the result, and very happy that I started with as gentle of an approach as I did.

richy
06-03-2015, 10:20 AM
They're known for their soft paint. In any case, regardless of what you may "know", it is always prudent to start with a less aggressive method and move up if it's not cutting it (pun intended).

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Honda paint is usually known for being soft and it shows your level of knowledge when working on it. Instead of pulling out the big guns you went with a moderate approach and it took care of the defects.

Nicely done.

Sicoupe
06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Having a SI myself, you are correct sir:)

courtdale
06-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks. Since I only work on my own vehicles, I easily could have screwed this up. The BMW was the complete opposite, plus I think it had an extra CCoat applied, so again, heavy cut pads and products were never a problem. Not complaining though, less steps = less work for me, plus the delicate approach (i think) should mean less hologram issues.