PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for Single Stage Paint

dsharpe89
06-03-2015, 01:48 AM
Hello just looking for suggestions on the longest lasting sealant for single stage paint. Gloss and slickness are a bonus but the most important quality is the durability and duration as the truck is kept outside. I recently polished a 1978 GMC Sierra using Mike's #7 method and sealed it with 2 coats of Jetseal 109, let's just say that I was not exactly pleased with how it lasted....

trashmanssd
06-03-2015, 04:53 AM
I wonder if they Sealant did not adhere well over #7 as its very oily. I would say do an IPA wipe down but I am not sure single stage will like the Alcohol may dry out the surface and counter act the best quality of #7 feeding the paint fresh oils. Maybe a different wax someone can recommend for going over #7. I have used Collonite 845 over it but not sure on how long it lasted as it was one of our rubbish trucks and I dont watch them that close and its not fair to judge as I never know what the idiots driving them do washing them.

Billy Baldone
06-03-2015, 05:13 AM
I have read some mixed longevity reviews on Jetseal. I have never used it. I have petsonally seen 6-8 months from Power Lock. Not on a single stage paint though.

Ebg18t
06-03-2015, 05:17 AM
Have you considered just coating the truck since it is outside all the time?

IMHO Jetseal is not as durable as it could be. Apparently it has been re formulated over the years, but other sealants have surpassed its durability.

dsharpe89
06-03-2015, 10:57 AM
I actually wiped it down with CP eraser prior to sealing it. I've been wanting to pick up some power lock anyway so maybe I will give that a shot.

I've talked about a coating with the owner and he's interested but I can't find any of the ones that have been said to be single stage safe locally. He wants his truck for the weekends so if a new sealant doesn't hold up we will probably order one in and try that out. Was thinking of getting the PBL.

mcate
06-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I love Power Lock. My go-to sealant. I used it on a single stage Fox body Mustang a couple of months ago & it looked great.

Zubair
06-03-2015, 11:56 AM
I use WGDGPS 3.0 on my 36 year old single stage MK1 Golf -Rabbit and my Clear Coat 2013 GTi. It looks way better than my Power Lock and lasts longer too.