PDA

View Full Version : product that does'nt bead?

Pages : [1] 2

octane
06-02-2015, 06:21 PM
so a guy that I've known for a couple of years now, just bought a new black mustang GT, and he want's me to work on it, but he doesn't want beading on it because it leaves water spots if not dried correctly. he really like that DP coating I put on his explorer 2 years ago (probably all gone a long time ago)

He's in is late 50s and owns a couple of NAPA stores, type of guy who probably thinks that Turtle wax is the only thing I use... so when I said most products will bead water, and will need to be dried off, he had that confussed look...

any products out there that offer good protection, and don't bead very well? lol, never thought I would be asking a question like this!

Feed back please

aim4squirrels
06-02-2015, 06:24 PM
The chemical guys second skin coating was reported to sheet far more than it beads.

Look into that.

FUNX650
06-02-2015, 06:39 PM
If I'm remembering correctly...

The Meguiar's Chemists...that originally
formulated Gold Class Wax...designed it:
to not bead water/to not bead water very well.

Bob

rms64
06-02-2015, 06:44 PM

The Meguiar's Chemists...that originally formulated
Gold Class Wax...designed it:

Bob

No sheet?

FUNX650
06-02-2015, 06:51 PM
No sheet?
No...Sheet.

Bob

octane
06-02-2015, 06:54 PM

The Meguiar's Chemists...that originally
formulated Gold Class Wax...designed it:

Bob

Thanks Bob! that's a good option for the price range!

rms64
06-02-2015, 07:12 PM
No...Sheet.

Bob

:laughing::laughing:

The Guz
06-02-2015, 07:31 PM
You could actually toss in Meguiar's NXT/M21 or Ultimate Wax into the mix if you are looking for a sheeting sealant.

Loach
06-02-2015, 07:38 PM
You're right, most products will be slightly hydrophobic and bead to some extent, even clean and decontaminated clearcoat won't be completely hydrophilic and will leave spotting if you're parked next to a hard water source or don't dry the car off after a wash.

I agree with aim4squirrels,Bob, and Guz - both Gold Class and CG SS6 have lackluster hydrophobic properties that I've seen. Meguiar's Ultimate Wax and their NXT 2.0 are more hydrophobic than Gold Class but their water beading isn't at the level of other products. Meguiar's Paint Protect and ICE Shine Lock Sealant also left me with lower hydrophobic levels compared to most other products I've tested so far. Wolfgang Fuzion is also not a very hydrophobic wax at all.

FishyX
06-02-2015, 09:11 PM
My new coat of Duragloss 111/601 is sheeting instead of beading. It does make it easier to dry.

fotomatt1
06-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Sonax Polymer Netshield sheets really well.

CDot
06-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Sonax Polymer Netshield sheets really well.

It also beads super well too, not sure if the guy would like that one...

tdekany
06-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Maybe it is time to teach that old dog how to properly dry a black car.

Jaretr1
06-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Maybe it is time to teach that old dog how to properly dry a black car.

I would be more into why is he scared of water spots? If the paint is properly protected and maintained, the water spots arent a threat to damaging the paint.

I am on the other side of the equation, I like maximum water beading. The slicker my paint is, the less water remains on it at all, and the less likely it will be to have any spots or residue. And after I wash my car, I sheet water over it, and because of the intense hydrophobic property of my LSP, the water just flies off my car and its 90% dry at that point.

thats just my preference. And I love to see the beads!

Ebg18t
06-04-2015, 08:38 PM
We see a lot of bad water spots here from reclaimed water sprinkler systems. Just nasty.