PDA

View Full Version : Waxed over bug spatter - how to remove safely?

SamRothstein
06-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Hi guys,

Did a wash and wax yesterday, and didn't notice a little bit of bug spatter that didn't come over with the wash until I was buffing off the wax :doh: The bug looks clear, and is pretty thin. I used Megs UWW topped with NXT 2.0 applied by DA with 5" black Hex pads.

So, what's the easiest and safest way of removing the bug from under the wax? Do I need to strip the entire car, or can I just do that one spot?

I'm already beating myself up pretty bad over here, but I guess I can chalk it up to a rookie mistake :nomore:

Setec Astronomy
06-02-2015, 09:32 AM
You didn't apply a coat of paint to the car, man! Just scrub the bug off (carefully), and reapply your NXT to that area. Done.

And don't beat yourself up, this is really something extremely minor.

FUNX650
06-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I hate when that happens!

I'll first use a "bug & tar remover" product
on just the buggy-area; then Rinseless-Wash
that same area to remove that product's residue;
and, finally: spot-Wax/Seal wherever the cleaning
off the bug residue occurred.

Bob

SamRothstein
06-02-2015, 09:47 AM
That's what I was hoping to be able to do, but I've learned I did so many things wrong in the past (via these forums) that I wanted to double check before making it worse. Would a simple strong mix of the UWW work, I should I look into getting a dedicated bug and tar remover type product?

Thanks for the reassurance!

Setec Astronomy
06-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Usually bug remains can be removed by soaking and agitation with your wash solution and wash media. Sometimes a fingernail or clay. If the area seems etched, some light polish by hand. This isn't some surgical procedure, it's some "dirt" that didn't get washed off, just clean it some more and you'll be fine.

BTW, you can't really do anything "wrong" in car detailing, it might not be a best practice, but don't get to the point where you're afraid to do anything because it might be "wrong". There's a thousand different ways and products, that doesn't make them "wrong". People who never wash their car aren't "wrong", they just have different priorities and desires than other people.

trekkeruss
06-02-2015, 10:10 AM
I do the "wrong" stuff all the time. Thank goodness I have a light colored car and can mostly get away with it.

FUNX650
06-02-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm kinda surprised that the Meguiar's UWW and NXT 2.0
didn't soften-up the bug residue enough to be removed
when you applied/removed these LSPs.

:idea:
-Apply some more of the UWW, or NXT 2.0, to the affected
area and let it dry for 1/2 hour or so.
-Then take some Detail Spray and spray it on the dried-up
NXT 2.0 to assist in its removal. Hopefully the bug residue
will be removed at the time.

If not:
Then take note of my previous post.

Bob

SamRothstein
06-02-2015, 12:16 PM
I just saw that UWW can/does stand for Ultima Waterless Wash, and wanted to clarify that I'm using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax. Sorry for any confusion!

Ebg18t
06-02-2015, 07:10 PM
I have had good luck with Stoners Tarminator Bug & Tar remover. You will have to re-wax after.

Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar (http://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html)

SYMAWD
06-02-2015, 08:17 PM
If it is a light etching in the clear coat, a bit of Meg's Ultimate Compound by hand on a microfiber towel with almost no pressure will remove it. Obviously try something less aggressive first like clay. Re-wax the area when finished.