PDA

View Full Version : Best Products and Techniques for Older Paint

Pages : [1] 2

Sharpie1
06-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I currently own a 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300D. The car has a paint color of light ivory and is the original paint on the car. The overall appearance of the paint is good – however there is some cracking noticeable when examined closely. I drive the car often (at least 3-4 days per week) and I would like to preserve the originality of the car, including the paint, as long as possible.

I have been using Klasse acrylic paint sealer about every other time I wash the car – and I sometimes use Pinnacle Souveran wax over that. I apply the Klasse with a microfiber or foam applicator – then buff off with a microfiber cloth. I apply the Pinnacle Souveran wax similarly, but buff off with a random orbital polisher with a microfiber bonnet.

After doing more research, however, it seems this might not be the best combination. This is chiefly because it appears the Klasse is for newer paints – not a paint finish from 1983. A quote from the website indicates Klasse is “…for new cars and oxidation-free surfaces…”.

My goal is primarily to preserve and protect the original paint as long as possible. That said, what are some recommended products and/or techniques to best care for this type of paint?

Helpful comments from this knowledgeable community are appreciated.

Thanks…

aim4squirrels
06-01-2015, 01:20 PM
If it's a single stage laquer type paint, try Megs #7 or 3M imperial hand glaze.

I don't know if anything will fix actual cracking, though.

Here's some info from the man:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28659-body-shop-safe-glaze-fresh-paint-7-show-car-glaze.html

Sharpie1
06-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious why these particular products would be recommended. According to the product descriptions, they're designed to be used on brand new paint??

Sharpie1
06-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I just read a large article on this site about the #7 regarding its history and use to condition old paint and to remove oxidation. It would seem that using this product first, then following up with Collinite 845 would be a good way to go.

Am I right?

LSNAutoDetailing
06-01-2015, 08:36 PM
#7 has been around a very long time and was/is the sealant of choice for high end cars of 70's / 80's.

It's very safe, both on clear and one stage paints. It has minerals and lubricants. It will also hide minor cosmetic defects in paint.

It's an old faithful.

davey g-force
06-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Do you have any pics?

Are you trying to remove scratches / swirls / other defects as well?

Skruf
06-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Zaino Z3 is for single stage paint.

Zaino Store : Z-3 Show Car Polish for Regular Paint (http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=Z-3&Category_Code=)

Sharpie1
06-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Sure - here are some pics of the paint on the car.

Sharpie1
06-02-2015, 08:19 PM
And - here's a pic of the car.

davey g-force
06-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Ok, so you won't be able to remove all that cracking, but you could definitely make an improvement to most of it. There's some that looks much shallower, like fine scratches, which I reckon will come out.

I'd try to replenish the paint first with a good soaking or two of M7 first. Do a search for Mike Phillips' thread here about how to restore single stage paint using M7.

If you want to do any correction, you would then apply a compound and/or polish, then lock it all in with a sealant and/or wax.

Sharpie1
06-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Will do. Thanks to all for your expertise.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Ok, so you won't be able to remove all that cracking, but you could definitely make an improvement to most of it. There's some that looks much shallower, like fine scratches, which I reckon will come out.

I'd try to replenish the paint first with a good soaking or two of M7 first. Do a search for Mike Phillips' thread here about how to restore single stage paint using M7.

If you want to do any correction, you would then apply a compound and/or polish, then lock it all in with a sealant and/or wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

BillE
06-03-2015, 07:08 AM
#7 has been around a very long time and was/is the sealant of choice for high end cars of 70's / 80's.

It's very safe, both on clear and one stage paints. It has minerals and lubricants. It will also hide minor cosmetic defects in paint.

It's an old faithful.

Paul,

#7 isn't a sealant. Just a 'pure polish' that will easily wash off if not protected with an LSP.

Bill

davey g-force
06-03-2015, 02:19 PM
:iagree:

LSNAutoDetailing
06-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Paul,

#7 isn't a sealant. Just a 'pure polish' that will easily wash off if not protected with an LSP.

Bill

Mispoke, on that car I would absolutely start with #7 followed by 26.

Although in my younger years I never went beyond #7.