PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Ncsumd
05-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Hi, I've been reading this site for a couple weeks & am more confused than ever. I have a new truck that I want to detail. Usually, I would go to my local store and buy a wax or polish. Not really exactly sure what I was doing. After lurking at this site, I realize there is more to it. Clay bar, polish, glaze, wax, sealant, quick detailers, spray waxes etc. and so many brands to choose from.
My truck is dark metallic blue. I will be detailing by hand. Should I use Klasse all in one, or something like Poorboys polish blue? Or use a separate polish topped by something like Collinite 845?
This truck is one of my daily drivers, so durability as well as shine is important. I would appreciate any help in the right direction.
Thanks!

03PAU
05-31-2015, 11:13 PM
Start w perfecting your wash technique ie double bucket method and get a clay bar kit. Finish with a good wax and if you're looking for more results, get a orbital polisher and some polish. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but polishing an entire car by hand just doesn't cut it.

shagnat
06-01-2015, 12:02 AM
No orbital polisher..... get a DA (dual action) polishes like the Porter Cable that is the cat's meow, especially for non-pros.

DogRescuer
06-01-2015, 05:51 AM
Hi my suggestion is read read read and practice and be patient like 03 said wash technique is key. I use c845 and love it and ask a lot of ?

Don M
06-01-2015, 07:11 AM
I second the porter cable (style) buffer, there are several makes out there from really inexpensive to over $200.

I also agree on learning how to wash since probably greater than 60 percent of all paint damage occurs from an improper washing/drying regime.

Once you get THAT down, THEN get the porter cable and start it's learning curve (which is short and easy BTW) we have people on here teaching their below ten year old children how to use the PC.

Don't get into the labyrinth of "Which Product" yet. Start with stuff you can get locally Over the Counter (Mothers and Meguiar's are two good makers of car care products and are available most everywhere).

Then once you use those products and figure out what you like about them and what you don't, then you can start asking for suggestions for products with the characteristics you want in a compound a polish or a wax/sealant.

In real time, this should take from 1-2 weeks to 2 months before you're comfortable using the machine and deciding what products you want to have, not very long at all.

Good Luck

bigdaddy65
06-01-2015, 07:22 AM
You should consider the flex 3401 it will save you a lot of time and effort on a truck especially a darker colored one.

Desertnate
06-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Learning to do the basic steps well is the best way to go.

I started out learning to wash well. Then I started to use a clay bar before waxing by hand. The huge leap for me was getting a DA polisher.

Rather than shelling out a large amount of money for a tool I had no idea how to use, I went simple and inexpensive with the Harbor Freight DA polisher. It works great and I love it. When/if it wears out, I may get better, but for now it's perfect for use on my personal cars.

For products I started simple too. I hand applied Klasse AIO and Klasse SG for a very long time. For clay I went with the Meguiars kit you get in most stores. I still use it today.

When I made the leap to machine polishing I still went inexpensive, easy, safe to use products and used Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish with great results.

I've since added to my product arsenal, but I feel starting simple, inexpensive, and easy to use gave me the confidence to experiment in a low risk environment while gaining skill and confidence. I'm still learning, but having a good time.

Ncsumd
06-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Thanks, everyone! Really appreciate all the help!

cousineau18
06-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Just to add to everyone else's comments. Buy a Porter Cable DA Polisher. It's the easiest to use. Go to Youtube and watch Junkman videos by going here: https://m.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000?
You will get so much info on the 2 bucket car wash, claying and using the DA.

For my recommendation I would do the 2 bucket wash followed by a clay bar to the entire car. And then apply the Colinite 845 or any other wax/sealant.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

LSNAutoDetailing
06-01-2015, 12:05 PM
The best thing to do is watch the Mike Phillips videos here on Autogeek.
Download free detailing handbook guides, how-to videos, free wallpapers, and free screensavers! (http://www.autogeek.net/auto-detailing-resource-center.html)

Start there, he'll show you proper technique, proper tools, and advice on what to look for and how to correct them. Always start with the least aggressive product and always do a test spot first.

I concur with everyone about getting a PC 7424 or Flex, but having the technique is more important than the products. I had a guy who wanted to try the PC7424, and even after I showed him proper technique he laid into it and didn't get good pad rotation.

Saw his car a few weeks later and noticed some clear burn in the paint and asked what happened. He decided to get a drill and add a wool bonnet too it and use some OTC compound.

Again, the tools weren't to blame in this case.

Watch the Mike Phillips videos and read his stickies and posts.

Ncsumd
06-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I've got a lot to learn.