PDA

View Full Version : Hex Logic Pads

IzzyMan12078
05-31-2015, 09:43 PM
Being relatively new to detailing, I had started out with a PC DA and a couple CG Hex Logic pads last year for a quick M205 polish on a newer car. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to order a whole set of pads, and multiples of a few key like White, Blue, Orange, and Black. Today, with one of the new White pads, I touched up a hood to remove some holograms from a paint job a friend had in March. The body shop created a mess.

Anyways..hood looked good, but I used some CG Pad Cleaner sprayed on the pad and rinsed in cool water. I rung it out and put it on my PC DA to spin the water out as recommended and the thing flew apart. Velcro disk came off the pad.

Is this typical? Did I just waste $100 plus dollars on pads that will give me one use and disintegrate?

Thanks

CDot
05-31-2015, 10:36 PM
I have the orange/white/black HexLogic pads. I haven't had any of them fall apart. Curiously, the white ones are showing the most "wear" though--not sure why (the orange ones have gotten the most use).

I have never wrung out pads; maybe that's the issue. If anything, I've massaged them inside of a bucket (in mixed Pad Cleaner solution) by pressing into them with my fingertips, but that's it. If you actually wrung them out like you wring out a washcloth/paper towel, that's probably the issue.

Ccrew
05-31-2015, 10:37 PM
I've only seen it when I put them on my Rupes and push them too hard. Essentially they separate when overheated/overworked. Those pads have their detractors but I have a cabinet full with no issues (that aren't self-inflicted).

IzzyMan12078
05-31-2015, 10:38 PM
I did not. I squeezed like you mentioned... Between palms.

dsharpe89
06-01-2015, 07:09 AM
I had the same issue with the white pads, switched to flat buff & shine and haven't had any issues since!

CDot
06-01-2015, 08:11 AM
I did not. I squeezed like you mentioned... Between palms.

Ah ok

I had the same issue with the white pads, switched to flat buff & shine and haven't had any issues since!

^^^Hmmmm...maybe it is a [White] pad issue?

KB in MD
06-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I've heard of spinning the pad dry on a rotary but is this same procedure advised to do on a DA? Seems like more stress to the hook n loop backing on a DA than on the rotary. I 'thought' this was one reason it's been written to not lift the DA until the pad has stopped spinning? Just throwing this out there ;)

dsharpe89
06-01-2015, 09:28 AM
I strictly use the the Grit Guard Pad Washer on the lowest speed setting to clean all my pads as well

IzzyMan12078
06-01-2015, 10:03 AM
I've heard of spinning the pad dry on a rotary but is this same procedure advised to do on a DA? Seems like more stress to the hook n loop backing on a DA than on the rotary. I 'thought' this was one reason it's been written to not lift the DA until the pad has stopped spinning? Just throwing this out there ;)
That could very well be the difference and the problem. I'm not near the bottle of cleaner so can't read the label but what you say makes sense. I bet it says to spin on a rotary. [emoji15]

actuator_mz3
06-01-2015, 10:08 PM
That's really weird, i had the same exact thing happen to me with a white pad.