PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Glass swirl mess on black

LBsSE
05-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Long time lurker, just joined!
I need help! I thought I knew what I was doing but obviously not. I bought a new Camry (first black car ever) washed/clay-bar, Liquid glass pre cleaner and 4 coats of Liquid Glass sealant. So I thought I had the swirls out before the Liquid Glass, but I am not sure if they are under the LG, or possibly between coats. I have tried Maguire’s ultimate Polish with no improvement (actually seems worse). So how can I “start over” ? I know LG says to remove using steel wool with varsol, really? What about a couple of strong washes with Dawn and some DX 330? Or ? and then what?

Thanks,
LB

Billy Baldone
05-31-2015, 01:30 PM
IPA wipe down is where I would start.

Rsurfer
05-31-2015, 01:46 PM
Long time lurker, just joined!
I need help! I thought I knew what I was doing but obviously not. I bought a new Camry (first black car ever) washed/clay-bar, Liquid glass pre cleaner and 4 coats of Liquid Glass sealant. So I thought I had the swirls out before the Liquid Glass, but I am not sure if they are under the LG, or possibly between coats. I have tried Maguire’s ultimate Polish with no improvement (actually seems worse). So how can I “start over” ? I know LG says to remove using steel wool with varsol, really? What about a couple of strong washes with Dawn and some DX 330? Or ? and then what?

Thanks,
LB

You must have read incorrectly about using steel wool.

FUNX650
05-31-2015, 02:00 PM
:welcome: ...to AGO!

Don't know if a grease-and-wax remover will
actually get rid of four coats of the LG-Sealant.

You can try removing it with the UP...
But, IMO: it just may be too mild of a polish.

I'd bump it up a level, to at least M205.

Bob

PA DETAILER
05-31-2015, 02:08 PM
YES. Just dont use this......

LBsSE
05-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the quick response! yeah I should have clarified they recommend the steel wool for paint prep. I used to do paint work in the 80's 80's?? (holy crap, did I admit that??) using mostly 3m stuff, micro finish, mirror glaze etc that's where the DX330 came from. Things have changed so much I am not sure what is best these days. I will pickup some 205 and try it after the IPA, and the beer haha. I have a mikita 9227? buffer, need to get polishing pads for, or are the orbital polishers much better?

Thanks much! I have a lot to learn!

LB

Rsurfer
05-31-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the quick response! yeah I should have clarified they recommend the steel wool for paint prep. I used to do paint work in the 80's 80's?? (holy crap, did I admit that??) using mostly 3m stuff, micro finish, mirror glaze etc that's where the DX330 came from. Things have changed so much I am not sure what is best these days. I will pickup some 205 and try it after the IPA, and the beer haha. I have a mikita 9227? buffer, need to get polishing pads for, or are the orbital polishers much better?

Thanks much! I have a lot to learn!

LB
Orbitals are not better than your Makita, but safer for some. Since you have the experience stay with the Makita.

Billy Baldone
05-31-2015, 06:00 PM
And as I always do, list your location, and maybe someone local can come and help you out, and have some beers

LBsSE
05-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Any recommendation on polishing pads for the M205 using my Mikita?

LB

LBsSE
05-31-2015, 09:53 PM
can I use the white compressor pads on my mikita 7" hook & loop backing pad?

LB

Rsurfer
05-31-2015, 11:43 PM
can I use the white compressor pads on my mikita 7" hook & loop backing pad?

LB

Kompressor pads will work fine with your Makita.