PDA

View Full Version : How long to let polish cure?

parshooter
05-31-2015, 10:29 AM
The directions say "the longer the better". Last polish I waited about 3 hours. Does it matter, once the polish is dry, how long after to remove it? This polish is not sold here, so I'm not going to name names. TIA

rms64
05-31-2015, 10:42 AM
Hmmm....without naming names this will be tough. Typically a polish would be applied (ideally by machine) then immediately wiped off with a good microfiber.

Are you maybe using a wax or even a glaze?

dpk20x
05-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Sounds like he's talking about zaino?

parshooter
05-31-2015, 11:53 AM
Sounds like he's talking about zaino?
Not Zaino. OK, maybe it's not a true "polish", but that's what the manufacturer calls it. It's real easy on and off, and gives a great shine and beading.
So is it beneficial to let any product sit for any length of time after it has dried/cured?

FUNX650
05-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Not Zaino. OK, maybe it's not a true "polish", but that's what the manufacturer calls it.
Being there's no set-in-stone ways to define car-care
products...Makes it confusing at times.

It's real easy on and off, and gives a great shine and beading.
Then, IMHO:
Do whatever has previously worked for you. :)

So is it beneficial to let any product sit for any length of time after it has dried/cured?
That is, really, product specific...And:
per the manufacturers' recommendations.

Bob

Paul A.
05-31-2015, 07:15 PM
If this is an LSP you are asking about i usethe finger swipe test. Let it sit for the label recommended time (if any) and then swipe your finger across a hazed area. If it wipes clean it's ready to buff off. If it smears leave it longer. There are some things that hold up the time necessary to get a clean swipe. For me its usually the weather (temp, relative humidity etc.). Also applying it too heavy will cause it to take longer also.

Furthermore, i can't see the "science" of letting it sit any longer than it needs to before wiping off. It is, however, necessary to allow the polymer sealants to fully cure after applying and buffing off before either exposing it to rain or adding another layer or product on top.

DogRescuer
06-01-2015, 06:03 AM
A thing years ago to show guys were "cool "- when I visited my cousins in Queens NY the neighborhood "boys" would actually ride around all day with hazed wax swirls on their cars intending to show off. Just imagine how hard it was too remove at the end of the day.

Don M
06-01-2015, 06:57 AM
A thing years ago to show guys were "cool "- when I visited my cousins in Queens NY the neighborhood "boys" would actually ride around all day with hazed wax swirls on their cars intending to show off. Just imagine how hard it was too remove at the end of the day.

I used to see people do that right before the snow flew, they must have been of the mindset (mindless set?) that if a little is good more is better. Imagine all the crud that was on THAT paint come spring.

Jaretr1
06-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Follow the manufacturers instructions. They know best how their products are supposed to perform.

parshooter
06-01-2015, 12:12 PM
I saw the same thing back in the late 70s/early 80s when I lived in Atlanta. Don't know if they were showing off or just letting it dry, but I could only imagine the dirt and stuff that would adhere to the wax, only to be rubbed into the paint when removing.

Thanks for all the replies. :xyxthumbs:

DogRescuer
06-01-2015, 05:16 PM
I saw the same thing back in the late 70s/early 80s when I lived in Atlanta. Don't know if they were showing off or just letting it dry, but I could only imagine the dirt and stuff that would adhere to the wax, only to be rubbed into the paint when removing.

Thanks for all the replies. :xyxthumbs:

It was to show off, it was gotti turf

J Cole
06-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Just curious when you say 'cure' is that what it says on the bottle?

Most of the products I use that talk about curing time they're referring to the time after it's wiped off. For example coatings must cure for a certain amount of time before you add a LSP or expose them to water, etc. And some glazes require 30 minutes of curing time before adding a second layer. But the curing is done after removal.

davey g-force
06-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Yes, need clarification on what you mean by 'cure' and what you mean by 'polish'.

Don M
06-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Yes, need clarification on what you mean by 'cure' and what you mean by 'polish'.

Davey has a point, most "polishes" are considered 'rub in, wipe off' with no curing time as there is nothing to cure.