PDA

View Full Version : Can only see swirls in sun!

fauzool
05-30-2015, 12:01 PM
So basically exactly what I said when the sun shines just right I can see swirls but that is the only way. I tried using a Xenon Flashlight. I figured that would be good enough, but I guess I was wrong. What can I do? Would it have anything to do with the color of the car being synergy green This is the one: Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Xenon Hi-Beam Spotlight (Tool Only)-P716 - The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Xenon-Hi-Beam-Spotlight-Tool-Only-P716/202486523)

Paul A.
05-30-2015, 12:07 PM
If you have a garage pull it in and reduce the lighting on the entire car. The darker the better. Then take your light and play with both distance away from the paint and angle using ONLY that light. I will also admit to having a difficult time finding paint imperfections especially in light greys, white etc.

Then again, the sun is still the best. Don't use it while your working but do a test spot and then pull it out if you have to each time you try to dial in what will work.

fauzool
05-30-2015, 12:10 PM
If you have a garage pull it in and reduce the lighting on the entire car. The darker the better. Then take your light and play with both distance away from the paint and angle using ONLY that light. I will also admit to having a difficult time finding paint imperfections especially in light greys, white etc.

Then again, the sun is still the best. Don't use it while your working but do a test spot and then pull it out if you have to each time you try to dial in what will work.

Ive tried it its pretty dark in my garage and that light i used couldn't find anything. I tried close up farther away and different angles also still nothing.

swanicyouth
05-30-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm assuming your trying to correct the swirls?

If so, the solution is easy. Certain fine defects are almost impossible to be seen indoors. You can have the fanciest light set up - but it's still no match for the day time sun.

IMHO "swirl lights" are mostly a waste of time. If the defects are bad enough, you will be able to see them with indoor light or a regular LED flashlight. If they are super fine - you will need the sun.

The solution is to simply do a test spot, and then pull the car out in the sun to inspect it. Once you know what works - recheck your work periodically as you go. I wouldn't waste my effort or money trying to chase down special lights, unless you are doing high end correction work for a living.

frankprozzoly
05-30-2015, 03:14 PM
I have the opposite problem. The sun brightens my silver paint to the point of not being able to see anything. I have some fine scratches and water spots are starting to appear. The car looks perfect in the sun and my led work light is also too bright

fauzool
05-30-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm assuming your trying to correct the swirls?

If so, the solution is easy. Certain fine defects are almost impossible to be seen indoors. You can have the fanciest light set up - but it's still no match for the day time sun.

IMHO "swirl lights" are mostly a waste of time. If the defects are bad enough, you will be able to see them with indoor light or a regular LED flashlight. If they are super fine - you will need the sun.

The solution is to simply do a test spot, and then pull the car out in the sun to inspect it. Once you know what works - recheck your work periodically as you go. I wouldn't waste my effort or money trying to chase down special lights, unless you are doing high end correction work for a living.

I figured as much, im just a perfectionist haha. Thats what ill have to do. Thank you!

Souldetailer
05-30-2015, 03:47 PM
So I say to that doctor, it only hurts when I do this.

Souldetailer
05-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Sorry, my last reply was rather smart ass. Point is, if I see swirls sideways, out of the corner of my, as I pass my baby taking out the trash. I'm all over it. What's your tolerance level? That's the question. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin

FUNX650
05-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Remember one thing, as you operate your car:
blemishes will occure. So don't get carried away.
Leave excessive buffing on the car alone.

OK...So:
You get a couple of nearly invisible blemishes buffed out;
and then you see a few more out in the intense overhead
Sunlight---and you aren't happy with that---then what?
CC is paper-thin: SAVE UP!

OCD is a terrible condition...Work on that.
It took me a long time to get over (most of) my OCD.
I don't envy your situation. Seek therapy.

Bob

Vue to a kill
05-30-2015, 06:09 PM
I still have a few swirls here and there on my car. I just coated over them. Maybe try a wax or sealant that fills a little?

AutowerxDetailing
05-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Costco sells these Duracell single LED flashlights that are pure evil in terms of defect illumination. They will highlight defects that aren't even visible in full sunlight. They are almost dangerous because you will chase stuff that is basically invisible in "normal" lighting situations. Get one, if you insist...

You can also upgrade to a 200x LED illuminated microscope if you really want to go crazy. :buffing:

Souldetailer
05-30-2015, 07:03 PM
I have one of those super LED jobbies. Got it from Amazon, so I know what you mean. Bob's right though, there's only so much clear. Gotta pick yer spots.

Peace,

Darrin

J Cole
05-30-2015, 08:10 PM
I don't have the light you have; however, lights I do have that are similar to that are not effective at seeing imperfections in paint. The problem is they are BRIGHT, but they're bright all over (if that makes sense...) due to the way the light from the bulb is reflected in the housing of the bulb. Because of that the entire head of the light is emitting light, rather than from one concentrated point. You want that one concentrated point of light so that you can see the swirls!

I would try a light with a single LED, such as LED flood lights that you might find on Amazon. Or a swirl finder light sold on AG, since I believe they're a single LED or at least have no reflection occurring in the housing of the bulb. The LED flood light I have shows swirls very well:

http://i.imgur.com/OsIZRX2.jpg