PDA

View Full Version : Steam vs Extraction

AustrianOak82
05-29-2015, 03:55 PM
I have a VX5000 and a commercial hot water extractor in my arsenal. I typically use the steamer for everything interior but was thinking I could use the extractor more, even though it's a little more involved.

When do you guys use the steamer for the interior carpeting and when do you use the extractor? How long does it typically take everyone to dry the car out if you do extract? Just wanted to get some feedback on what is easiest/most convenient for everyone to see if I can save myself some labor and time! Thanks guys.

AustrianOak82
06-04-2015, 05:13 AM
Anyone?

VP Mark
06-04-2015, 07:21 AM
It really depends. I do a lot of nasty interior and can usually by experience tell quickly which tool will be the best for the job. If there is heavy soiling an extractor is usually better, because you need to lift thst soiling out. If the surface is generally clean with a lot of smaller spots, a steamer usually does a great job.

It really is a job to job decision. There is no wrong way as long as the job is getting done with the best results possible.

AustrianOak82
06-04-2015, 07:23 AM
It really depends. I do a lot of nasty interior and can usually by experience tell quickly which tool will be the best for the job. If there is heavy soiling an extractor is usually better, because you need to lift thst soiling out. If the surface is generally clean with a lot of smaller spots, a steamer usually does a great job.

It really is a job to job decision. There is no wrong way as long as the job is getting done with the best results possible.
Cool. That's generally been my approach but obviously the steamer is still a little labor intensive. Thinking I might want to use the extractor more but not sure I want to mess around with getting the snail fans out to dry if I don't have to.

HateSwirls
06-04-2015, 07:34 AM
I was always against over wetting the carpets.
Much prefer steam but there are times when my extractor is needed.
I love my Cyclo to clean dirty carpets.

Steps I use...

Vacuum
Brush carpet with a stiff brush
Vacuum again
Spray 303
Agitate using the Cyclo with the carpet brushes
Wipe up using MF towels
Allow to dry
Vacuum on e more.

jarred767
06-04-2015, 08:28 AM
I used to use an extractor exclusively, being in Seattle though and working outdoors, I could rarely offer a fully dry interior back to customers because everything always took so long to dry.

I switched to a steamer and now I use it exclusively. On 95% of the jobs it works absolutely amazing. Every once in a while I'll run across a super dirty car where an extractor may have been helpful, but I'll usually just do two rounds of steaming. It's amazing what steam can do when combined with other proper techniques (dry brushing, prevacuuming, the right cleaners, MF towels).

I love my steamer and wouldn't go back to the extractor, plus I'm out of room in my mobile rig :D