PDA

View Full Version : Clay lubricant

ymc226
05-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Now that I am starting to detail my cars I am accumulating many different products which I would like to keep to an appropriate minimum.

Regarding clay lubricant, can I use a QD such as Duragloss Fast Clean and Shine instead of buying a specialty clay lubricant.

I'm planning on buying 1 or 2 gallons of the DG FC so I can QD my cars after 2-3 days of driving.

rms64
05-28-2015, 06:28 PM
I've not used the fast clean and shine but I believe it's more of a true detail spray / maintenance product.

For clay lube, maybe look at ONR - you can dilute 2 oz. / gallon and it does an excellent job - or use 1 oz. gallon as a no rinse wash, and 8 oz. / gallon for quick detailer.

It's good stuff - economical and very versatile. :xyxthumbs:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
05-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Look into Ultima Waterless Wash +. It can be used as a waterless wash, QD, clay lubricant, & rinseless wash. If you keep up your car, you realistically will need to clay it once a year, maybe twice. So why have a product sit that will only be used a few times a year at most? Ultima is an amazing QD and overall product.

FUNX650
05-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Meguiar's D114, diluted @ 1:256, is an excellent,
and quite the economical, clay lube...IMO.

Just imagine:
That's 256 gallons (a little over 4.5 X 55gal. drums) of
either a clay-lube, and/or a Rinseless-Wash, for only $32.99!

Bob

Mp0wer
05-28-2015, 06:55 PM
I use a bucket of car soap and water, works great

ymc226
05-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Thanks all. I have some ONR that I bought a few years ago but was not crazy about rinseless wash so I'll make some clay lubricant out of the rest.

North26
05-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Now that I am starting to detail my cars I am accumulating many different products which I would like to keep to an appropriate minimum.

Regarding clay lubricant, can I use a QD such as Duragloss Fast Clean and Shine instead of buying a specialty clay lubricant.

I'm planning on buying 1 or 2 gallons of the DG FC so I can QD my cars after 2-3 days of driving.

Since all cars have to be washed pre-detail, save yourself the cash and clay while youre washing. And use your soap and water as lube.

supercarguy
05-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Ok,so I pretty much only do hi end cars,you all may laugh at this but i use anti static showroom conditioner as my clay lube,works great,been doing it for years.im sure there are way better products out there now,but ill stick with it!

DogRescuer
05-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Since all cars have to be washed pre-detail, save yourself the cash and clay while youre washing. And use your soap and water as lube.

This is what I do.

Don M
05-29-2015, 07:56 AM

:iagree:

FUNX650
05-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Just my opinion...But:
Using a car-washing "soap-and-water" solution as a
clay-lube when washing vehicles, probably wouldn't go
over too well for people that live in areas where there
are water restrictions.

Bob

swanicyouth
05-29-2015, 08:43 AM
The best concentrated clay lube I've found is Pinnacle Waterless 1:32. It's better than ONR IMHO.

OCD Detailing
06-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Not to hijack but I'm curios about this. After you sponge the car with soap isn't dirt left in the soap until you rinse it off?

Also isn't it allowing soap to dry on the car by the time you finish the whole thing?

Thanks

trekkeruss
06-02-2015, 11:43 AM
After you sponge the car with soap isn't dirt left in the soap until you rinse it off?

Also isn't it allowing soap to dry on the car by the time you finish the whole thing?

What I do is do a foam cannon wash, then rinse, then foam again in sections, using that foam as my lube.