PDA

View Full Version : New to paint coatings...couple of questions

Zune
05-28-2015, 03:45 PM
I've used a number of BlackFire products on our vehicles, most recently on my Glacier White Audi SQ5. I love the All Paint sealant/Midnight Sun wax combination, & it gives the paint a great looking finish. I noticed recently that BlackFire has a new paint coating out, & I was thinking of giving it a try given its longer lasting protection. Before delving in though, I was hoping to get some advice...

(1) What if I don't like the result...can I polish it off? I realize coatings are notable for their hardness, but can they be removed with a good polishing compound? I usually polish my vehicle every spring -- Blackfire SRC Compound followed by SRC Finishing Polish -- but it really is a big job with that hard Audi paint. Is this something I'm stuck with if I don't like it?

(2) Will it reduce the amount of swirls/marring? Although I'm very meticulous with my (double bucket) washing method, I still get some mild marring & swirls after a few months post-polish. Will the coating improve that? Can the swirls & marring still be polished out relatively easily with the coating on there?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Al
London Ontario Canada

Setec Astronomy
05-28-2015, 04:23 PM
At the worst, a coating won't be any harder (to polish) than your paint. It would be my guess this coating will be fairly easy to remove by polishing since it's not a permanent coating. Will it reduce swirls? Maybe, at least it will be a sacrificial layer. Coatings aren't some sort of force field or magic material, especially the non-permanent ones.