PDA

View Full Version : Natural bristle, brush questions

andygold
05-27-2015, 06:46 PM
I just recently found a box full of my grandfather's 1960's era paint brushes that he used as a professional building painter (painter's union) back in the day. All of the brushes are new in the original wrapping and none have ever been used. They range is size from about 1.5" to 4.5".

The brushes are all marked as having boar's hair, or horse hair, or "natural" bristle on heavily lacquered (i assume) wooden handles. I tugged on the bristles on a few of them and they are intact, strong, and feel verrry soft/smooth.

Would these be OK to use for degunking door jambs and all of the "seals" around the vehicle? Or would this be using something that's too good for the job?

What are most of the commonly available detailing brushes' bristles made from, and would the common ones be safe for use on body paint surfaces other than on wheels?

Maybe a dumb question, but...I don't know if these types of bushes are still available nowadays, and maybe it would be a sin to use them to remove gook from a car. Any painters out there? :)

expdetailing
05-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Personally, I would save these brushes for the dash board's scratch I sensitive areas, and for areas such as, knobs,buttons, radio face, etc.
For the area you were referring to, you could use a slightly stiff plastic bristled brush.

TheAverageMan
05-28-2015, 12:03 AM
Honestly, see if theyre worth something on ebay or google their value, they sound fancy bro.