PDA

View Full Version : Touch up Paint

waparson
05-27-2015, 08:43 AM
I hit a few spots on my truck with some touch up paint. I have some clear coat to go on that after it cures.

But I was curious for anyone familiar with this, would it be best to get a few coats of the base paint down and then use a DA to correct and blend it in smooth and then put the clear coat on and repeat?

Or do the base coats and then clear it and then use the polisher?

Just not sure about the base coat looking decent under the clear if its not corrected first.

Thanks for any help!

jimbob
05-27-2015, 09:32 AM
I've done mine by multiple layers of base paint until just enough space for some clear to finish out as close to level as possible.

Then either wetsanding to smooth out and even the blob (followed by compound/polish) or langka blob eliminator.

I'm by no mean a pro and other members might have better methods but the above works well for me.

Not sure exactly what you'd be repairing by da polishing the base coat touch up before applying the clear?

waparson
05-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Not sure exactly what you'd be repairing by da polishing the base coat touch up before applying the clear?

I was just thinking maybe I could level it out with the rest of the paint better, not necessarily making it look any better. But that could just be some crazy thinking. As I'm pretty clueless when it comes to touchup or anything like this.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll probably keep doing my base coat layers until like you said its pretty level. Then do my clear. And just smooth it out the best I can with the polisher.

Thanks!

2black1s
05-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Do not fill and level the chip with the base coat. The base coat should be applied below the surrounding area leaving room for the clear coat. Use the clear coat to finish filling and leveling the repair.

waparson
05-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Do not fill and level the chip with the base coat. The base coat should be applied below the surrounding area leaving room for the clear coat. Use the clear coat to finish filling and leveling the repair.

gotcha, thanks!