PDA

View Full Version : What products to remove impact residue?

jimbob
05-27-2015, 07:21 AM
I have a mate who came off the wrong end between his car and a pillar in a parking lot. He's got a scrape along his rear driver side panel.

On and around the scrape he's got some paint transfer from the pillar onto his car. Does anyone have any recommendations on removing this?

Also, any tips for tackling this
scrape would be welcome. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Seems to be quite deep and thick but most areas it hasn't gone down to the metal. I was thinking of wetsanding (2000 to 2500 to 3000) then compounding and polish? Basically the standard scratch repair but not sure if anything extra or special to do for scrapes?

Mike Phillips
05-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Here's an article on your question...

How How To remove Paint Transfer off your car's paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28170-how-remove-paint-transfer-off-your-car-s-paint.html)

Basically you want to hand-rub a clearcoat safe compound or polish over the paint you want to remove.

I find a piece of terry cloth towel works well for the first rubbing followed by a soft foam or microfiber applicator to remove any toweling marks from the terry cloth.

Some guys will say use a machine but here's the deal... you can exert a LOT of pressure using just the fingertips of about three or four fingers as you rub directly on the paint you want to remove.

A machine will apply pressure a much larger area, meaning it will apply pressure to the paint you want to remove and the good paint around it.

Starting by hand and finishing by machine is a much better and much safer approach.

:)

jimbob
05-27-2015, 03:40 PM
A reply from the man himself! Thanks Mike!