PDA

View Full Version : First time with the griots!!

cstegs
05-26-2015, 07:06 PM
So after learning so much from you guys my girlfriend surprised me with the griots da and the Orange, microfiber fast finish, and red pads. I had to jump right in and try it out on her 2012 jeep unlimted. I learned about claying and polishing a couple months ago and at the time didn't have a da so I did it by hand. Since I clayed it a month ago and it was still smooth I skipped that step.

I two bucket washed it with Meg's gold class and then I got to my new toy. I used Meg's ult polish with the red microfiber fast finish pad. (Btw was this correct or should I use the Orange cutting pad instead?)

Anyways the end result was WAY better than when I polished by hand. I then put on p21s with the red finishing pad and it went on so much thinner by using the da.

Overall I love it and can't wait to machine polish my slk. Only question is of the pads I have what is the best for the polish?

tdekany
05-26-2015, 08:23 PM
You should always clay before polishing.

What pads? That depends on how much cut is needed - reason to have several different grade. But btween a MF and Orange pad, you should be fine, but do you only have 1 each?

TFTADetail
05-26-2015, 09:11 PM
If the paint is smooth to the touch and your hands glide across the paint without any friction ........ THEN you don't need to clay AGAIN.

The majority of vehicles will only need to be clayed twice per year.
Glad you're up with the DA! I'm sure the girlfriend it glad you want to use it on her Jeep too. :dblthumb2:

tdekany
05-26-2015, 09:56 PM
If the paint is smooth to the touch and your hands glide across the paint without any friction ........ THEN you don't need to clay AGAIN.

The majority of vehicles will only need to be clayed twice per year.
Glad you're up with the DA! I'm sure the girlfriend it glad you want to use it on her Jeep too. :dblthumb2:

Twice a year maybe in Texas - if you don't have a coated vehicle around here, your 2x a year recommendation is out the window.

I am not sure where the OP lives, but if you polish, a quick claying can't take more than a few extra minutes - to ensure that his polishing/waxing steps provide maximum durability. Same philosophy as polishing after claying is a must. Best to teach newbies the right way - god knows the industry is full of hacks.

TFTADetail
05-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Sounds like the OP would be located in the SW which make my point valid.
Sandy wouldn't put him in many other states if any.

Klasse Act
05-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Congrats on the Griots RO! I've had mine for over 4 yrs without an issue. I also have the GG3" for tight area and if you wanna do any correction of substance get some 3" flat mf pads for it and you'll be happy!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk