PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find a mini-polisher

QuinGold
05-26-2015, 06:42 PM
I just got a Flex 3401 earlier this year. But now that I'm finally polishing my little Miata, I can see quite a few areas I will have trouble polishing with the 5" Hybrid pads (around number plate, bumpers, and along bottom panels low down, etc.). I have a wonky elbow so want to avoid too much hand polishing (I'm also a small female with not a lot of upper body strength so not sure I could even polish by hand!)

The 3401 is quite heavy for me although I get just fine with the large horizontal panels. But I'd love a mini version, lighter, and with 2" pads.

I would be using WG Finishing Glaze as my most aggressive product; the car is very hazy but with the Flex, I'm loving the result. (I expect to apply Fusion wax by hand.) Our other car (Ford Escape) could also use a light polish too, when I have time.

Is the PE8 is the right mini-polisher for this use? I've seen people mention that it can create holograms but not sure if that's because of the combination of product/pad used?

I've also looked at the Griot's 3" Orbital Polisher (I'd prefer 2" size but the price is right). The Rupes LHR75 looks interesting too, but also pricey.

Ideally I could find an electric mini polisher with 2 or 3" pads that could also be fitted with "scrubbing" pads to clean our water feature that gets green with slime. Is there such a thing? (I used to have a Black & Decker battery powered scrubbing machine but it was useless; they don't even sell it now.) Since my DH usually cleans the water feature, I could justify another tool if it could also scrub stuff!!! :)

Setec Astronomy
05-26-2015, 06:55 PM
The Griot's 3" is not very powerful, it does ok with microfiber pads. There is a Griot's yellow scrubbing pad available for it. Griot's Garage 3 Inch Yellow Scrubbing Pads, coarse cleaning pads, orbital scrubbing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3in-yellow-pads.html)

I'll be interested to hear what some other suggestions are.

hernandez.art13
05-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Check this out. I made this because I didn't have any air powered tools and thought outside the box to see what I could come out with. This modification could be done with a Porter Cable, Meguiar's G110v2, Griot's 6", Etc..., but I find that the PC, G110v2, Griots 6" have a lot of power when taken down to 3"s so with a 2" modification it would be pretty dang strong.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/83116-hernandez-polisher.html

and welcome!

I was just being silly when I titled the thread "The Hernandez Polisher" btw lol, another member called it that, so thought it was funny and used it lol.

Also, Kevin Brown from BuffDaddy seems to be making similar extensions and modification also, not sure what he has going on though. However, you can always Google him and give him a call.

IOMCAMARO
05-26-2015, 06:59 PM
The Griot's 3" polisher can do some minor correction with Meg's MF pads, but it will take forever to remove anything deep.

2" machines/pads are very rare to find which makes them more expensive. I believe the only one that is easy to get is the Flex in that size.

Instead of getting a specified mini polisher I would suggest getting a PC 7424xp with a 3" backing plate. This also allows you to use the PC with bigger pads whenever you don't want to drag the Flex out.

fotomatt1
05-26-2015, 07:18 PM
I have a Rupes LHR-75e that I use on tight spots and pillars. It's pricy but fantastic! Plenty powerful and at times I feel like it finishes a bit better than my Rupes 21. I'd also like a PE-8 at some point but I'm very happy with the Rupes Mini.

Setec Astronomy
05-26-2015, 07:22 PM
I have a Rupes LHR-75e that I use on tight spots and pillars.

Do you use the Rupes pads? Those wind up being 4", right, since they taper out from the backing plate?

Rsurfer
05-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Instead of getting a specified mini polisher I would suggest getting a PC 7424xp with a 3" backing plate. This also allows you to use the PC with bigger pads whenever you don't want to drag the Flex out.
:iagree:Plus you could use a carpet brush to scrub your algae.

I have a Rupes LHR-75e that I use on tight spots and pillars. It's pricy but fantastic! Plenty powerful and at times I feel like it finishes a bit better than my Rupes 21. I'd also like a PE-8 at some point but I'm very happy with the Rupes Mini.

I also love the Rupes Mini, but the Flex PE-8 can use 1"-2" pads for really tight areas.

fotomatt1
05-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Do you use the Rupes pads? Those wind up being 4", right, since they taper out from the backing plate?

I have some Rupes pads and also Mirka foam pads which are 3" and Meg's 3" mc discs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuinGold
05-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks all. So for 2" size, the PE8 is it.

Do you think it will work well for the job I'm doing? If I see holograms, what do you do then?

Are there any scrubbing pads that would work for the Flex?! :)

Kamakaz1961
05-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks all. So for 2" size, the PE8 is it.

Do you think it will work well for the job I'm doing? If I see holograms, what do you do then?

Are there any scrubbing pads that would work for the Flex?! :)

I have the PE8 Kompakt and have never had an issue with "Holograms". If you use the Flex 3401 you should have no issue at all with the "hologramming" issue.

If you know how to use a DA pretty well then you should be able to use the PE8. IMO, the PE8 is an awesome rotary. The only problem you will encounter is splatter with the 1" Pads and 2" Pads. The 3" Pad is more controllable for me. I think it's because the pads are so small.

The PE8 is an awesome machine and if you are looking for a mini-polisher then get it.

I have converted my PC7424 XP with 3" Pads and have the adapters to where you can use the smaller 1" and 2" Pads and BP. If you fear the "hologram" issue, then you can have that as a back up.

minorc
05-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Never tried the Flex model but I have the rupes and use it all the time. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmccarty2000
05-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Save up for the Rupes 75 and you will be very happy. Regular 3 inch pads work great, if you don't want to go with the Rupes 4 inchers.

Calendyr
05-26-2015, 10:06 PM
One thing I use and that you might like is a 3" backplate on a drill. It's very good for tight spots likes door jambs or spot repairs like remove scratches.

I got my backplate in a 3M headlight correction kit for 30$. It came with a 3" orange pad (light cutting), sand paper disks, a bit of compound and polish. You can get various 3" pads here. I have some for heavy cleaning (yellow) that I don't use on car paint, and some red one to apply wax and sealant although I don't use those often.

Orange pads are very versatile, you can use them with compound and with polish.

Combined with a Cordless drill it's a wonderful addition to my polishing Tools. I like it a lot better than the 3" Griot Garage polisher that has very little power and is nothing more than a wax spreader for me.

QuinGold
05-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Thank you all for the great replies. Since I'm a newbie, I think I'll go with the Flex PE8 kit as it sounds like it will do everything I need for the cars right out of the box and I like the small sizes. I also might be able to use it in the art room for polishing copper plates! (I'll keep looking for a scrubbing device for the water feature.)