PDA

View Full Version : Painted metal boat trailer protection

mtndriver
05-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Have searched this topic and it seems most info defaults to gelcoat protection or stainless boat fittings. I am getting a new Heritage boat trailer next month and wonder what is best for the metal paint trailer surface? I don't know if there is a clear coat application over the paint of any sort or not.

I am thinking of using either Klasse AIO or Blackfire Wet Diamond which I use on my vehicles and the same product on the chrome wheels. Wondering if there are different considerations for the trailer than for my car's paint surface? I see an article here for using Marine 31 gelcoat protection for metal but those are two different surface types. Opinions/advice appreciated.

MPBGT
05-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Some trailers are powder coated, some are painted and some are just galvanized. If I were cleaning up the trailer I would use Collinite 845. It's used often in marine and easy to use.

mtndriver
05-26-2015, 04:06 PM
That might be the way to go. Since the trailer will be new I don't need a cleaning element other than washing. Think I'll contact mfgr to see what process they use.