PDA

View Full Version : Acid for glass? ?

DogRescuer
05-25-2015, 06:09 AM
Has anyone used acid on glass to remove water spots that ceriglass won't remove and if so what type, please? ?

Don M
05-25-2015, 06:16 AM
Has anyone used acid on glass to remove water spots that ceriglass won't remove and if so what type, please? ?

I wouldn't. There was just a post recently about someone who accidentally sprayed Megs Chrome Rim Cleaner on their windshield and it messed it up BAD! The most acidic thing I would use on glass is vinegar.

DogRescuer
05-25-2015, 06:28 AM
I wouldn't. There was just a post recently about someone who accidentally sprayed Megs Chrome Rim Cleaner on their windshield and it messed it up BAD! The most acidic thing I would use on glass is vinegar.

Thanks, obviously i have these Bad A** water spots laughing at me, i may have to live with.

Don M
05-25-2015, 06:34 AM
Thanks, obviously i have these Bad A** water spots laughing at me, i may have to live with.

I hate it when defects laugh at me like that ;)

Calendyr
05-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Ya, I heard the same thing about Meg's Wheel Brightener being able to etch glass.

Vinegar should be safe and effective though.

Nick McKees37
05-25-2015, 07:48 AM

If Ceriglass won't remove the water spots, I wouldn't expect acid to either.

Acid, vinegar and other spray-on water spot removes are only effective at removing topical water spots.

I would continue to use Ceriglass, and if you haven't already try a CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad. Work on a SMALL area, apply firm pressure (unless you're a lumbar jack, use every ounce of muscle that you have) and go SLOWLY with your arm speed. It's going to take you a couple hours, but you should be able to make a dent in the water spots.

:dblthumb2:

MDX Detailing
05-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Cerium oxide, interface pad, and the carpro rayon glass pad. Rotary polisher. Spray bottle of water easily accessible and keep the glass very wet.

Natron
05-25-2015, 08:52 AM
Yes, we have some that we use regularly. It works very well. It is made/marketed as a glass water spot remover. We apply it with a squirt bottle, and spread it with a brush or scrubbie. Since it's thick, it's pretty easy to control. We let it dwell 90 seconds, neutralize it with APC, and rinse it off. Meguiars wheel brightner states in bold print on the label (DO NOT USE ON GLASS) and ceriglass is not very aggressive in my opinion. To use what you already have, I think Nicks advise is right on also.

FUNX650
05-25-2015, 09:10 AM
•I've used products that contain acids on auto-glass:
-Meguiar's M47....It contains citric acid.
-Vinegar...it is mainly acetic acid.

However:
•You want to keep glass (as well as yourself and other people) away....far, far away ...from hydrofluoric acid (HF);
and strong (hot) caustics like ~50 percent NaOH (drain cleaners come to mind).
-They will definitely etch glass.
-Yes...HF will even dissolve glass (and wreak havoc on Humans)

•I've also had great results using a compound like
Meguiar's M04 on a terry cloth towel.
-Why not try that route before "going for broke" with a rotary polisher and a dedicated glass compound...

Bob

DogRescuer
05-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Cerium oxide, interface pad, and the carpro rayon glass pad. Rotary polisher. Spray bottle of water easily accessible and keep the glass very wet.

I didn't know the glass was to be wet

GenesisCoupe
05-25-2015, 11:57 AM
User VisualSeven and I recently polished a heavy water spot car, and NOTHING worked.. We ended up using Megs M105 with Yellow LC pads and after a lot of buffing it all came out.

This is glass only we are talking about. The paint had to be sanded.

Nothing else worked, seriously.

frankprozzoly
05-25-2015, 03:08 PM
I used mothers aluminum polish on glass and it cleaned nicely. I swear that stuff is good for cleaning and shining anything

Skruf
05-25-2015, 09:09 PM

That sounds promising.

AutowerxDetailing
05-25-2015, 11:37 PM
Many of the acids that are used to remove mineral deposits and water spots contain hydrofluoric acid and/or sulfuric acid which both etch glass. If the surface is too hot it will etch just by rubbing it in with a MF towel. On windshields, which sometimes have light wiper haze, the acid can intensify the "rainbow" defects causing a dramatic worsening in the glass' appearance.

Typically on a windshield the water spots are only on the area around the wiper's path. So if you are careful you could use an acid based product and just be EXTREMELY careful to keep it from dripping into the wiper path. On side and rear windows using acid is typically not a problem.

I have used CarPro Spotless with great success to remove stubborn water spots from glass, paint, and even plastic trim.