PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed!!

GenesisCoupe
05-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Hello all!

I was "tune-ing" up some computers at the girlfriends house. Her 5 year old laptop is running top notch!

Her old Compaq, Windows XP Home edition however, not so well. This computer is used mainly to stream stuff, and never checked.

Malware Bytes Pro detected 226 threats. After removing them, and restarting the computer, THE WINDOWS DOESN"T LOAD!

The computer boots up to the welcome screen, and asks for the Product key. Because the computer is 10+ years old, there is no way to get the original product key..

I tried to enter the set-up, as well as boot but had no luck in changing anything.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank You

BradsDetailing
05-24-2015, 11:05 PM
Hello all!

I was "tune-ing" up some computers at the girlfriends house. Her 5 year old laptop is running top notch!

Her old Compaq, Windows XP Home edition however, not so well. This computer is used mainly to stream stuff, and never checked.

Malware Bytes Pro detected 226 threats. After removing them, and restarting the computer, THE WINDOWS DOESN"T LOAD!

The computer boots up to the welcome screen, and asks for the Product key. Because the computer is 10+ years old, there is no way to get the original product key..

I tried to enter the set-up, as well as boot but had no luck in changing anything.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank You

Never heard of this before. But I think it's time to get Windows 7 or 8. Stuff like this is almost bound to happen with XP since it is no longer supported.

Firehouse Mike
05-25-2015, 04:00 AM
OEM product key should be on the back of the PC on a Microsoft decal.

Mike

hogie
05-25-2015, 08:56 AM
If the sticker doesn't have the key you may be able to do a system restore with a recovery disk. Afterwards you can use free software to find your key on the system.

GenesisCoupe
05-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Never heard of this before. But I think it's time to get Windows 7 or 8. Stuff like this is almost bound to happen with XP since it is no longer supported.

That is what i was thinking, just doing a basic 7 on it.

OEM product key should be on the back of the PC on a Microsoft decal.

Mike

Yes, i found that, entered it in, and nothing..says it's invalid.

I believe a few years ago they gave it to someone who did a "recovery" on it to make it faster. I believe they installed a new Xp that had a different product key, and that is why the OEM doesn't work.

mleun481
05-25-2015, 01:07 PM
have you tried doing a system restore to an earlier date before you did anything to it?

Jeremy.Hoffman
05-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Blow it out of the water and install Ubuntu Linux for free. The whole machine will run faster. XP last I knew doesn't validate anymore. You would need to fresh boot it and alter registry keys.