PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

iaff78
05-24-2015, 09:20 PM
I just recently purchased a 2012 White Chevy Traverse and the paint is in damn good shape. I have some work to do as there are some minor imperfections.

What i plan on doing:
Snow foam then wash
Iron X
Clay
DA using Megs 105 compound with a MF cutting pad
Da using megs 205 polish
Unsure about using a sealant...too many mixed reviews

This is where I'm stuck on what I want to use. I just picked up some Megs white wax to give it a try plus i was all out of wax. I just wonder if the white wax was a foolish buy since i'll already have the paint cleaned and polished before i use this product(which cleans, polishes and waxes).

1.Should I just go with a good grade carnauba wax instead?
2.After i spend the time correcting the finish, will there be any use for the white wax later down the road? Maybe use every couple months after I do the initial correction and waxing?
3.Has anyone every worked on the Traverse and if so how is paint? Hard or soft?

This will be the first time I've worked on my traverse since i got it and I really want this truck to look its best.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Kevin

Belair
05-24-2015, 09:36 PM
If you've compounded & polished it you don't need to use the white wax. I'd go with a sealant rather than the carnuba because of the durability. You can layer the carnuba on the sealant if you want but no need to. There are a lot of good sealants; I've used Prima Hydroseal & Jetseal 109 with good results from both. (on the Samples section of this forum you might be able to trade the white wax for a sealant)

asalesagent912
05-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Are you planning on compounding the whole truck with 105 and 205?
or just certain areas? If so it sounds a little aggressive for a white truck that you said looks good already. Just trying to save you time and energy.
Wash clay and wax or sealant and you should be fine. As far as sealants go i just used menz power lock and loved it. goes on nice and comes off very easy and really leaves a slick feel. Just not sure of the longevity because i just tried it.

Don M
05-25-2015, 08:11 AM
White Wax is a SMAT (Super Micro Abrasive Technology) based cleaner/wax. You could use it in place of the M205 assuming you got the car close to, or LSP ready with the M105 and it will leave protection on the paint, which you can follow up with a carnauba wax or a synthetic sealant.

On its own with the right pads, WW is an awesome one-step for those quickie jobs or for customers who just want a quick wash & wax and isn't interested in a complete detail (but you still want to really improve the looks of the car).