PDA

View Full Version : which coating to choose?

wils91
05-24-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm looking to put a coating on my personal vehicles but with all the options out there i'm not sure which to choose. and with the sale right now i was going to get something to do it during this summer.

i have a 2015 Explorer, and a 2012 supercab F-150.

i was thinking of Cquartz UK since i live in southwest PA and we get our fair share of the white stuff and all the salt to go with it. but i'm just not sure. i've only ever used wax's and sealants. but is one better than the other? ease of use, application, wipeoff, etc.

how much will i need? 30ml or 50ml? more than 50? how many applicator cloths? do i need the suede towels for wipeoff? i would hate to use my good MF towels and have to toss them afterwards.

when applying, am i changing the applicator cloths constantly or am i using say one per door,hood, hatch? i want to make sure i have enough of the proper materials before i start.

thanks.

TFTADetail
05-24-2015, 09:12 PM
This will be very helpful to you.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rAM78oDffM[/video]

Mask
05-24-2015, 09:40 PM
There are tons of coatings out there to choose from. Just pick one that has many good feedback.
However... I always remind myself
"Frequent car care is easy car care"
Lol :D

Ebg18t
05-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I would look at 2 coatings. CQUK and OPT GC.

My Touareg has 2 Coats of CQUK and still some left in the 30ml bottle to coat the new wheels. CQUK application is kinda time consuming as there is a lot of hand buffing involved to eliminate high spots and remove the excess. With 2 larger vehicles it's something to keep in mind. CQUK comes in 2 sizes.

OPT GC applies the same way as CQUK but the buff step is starkly different. With GC after application you use a MF to very lightly level off anything that hasn't flashed off. On a larger vehicle this could be a time saver. GC has 2 sizes available.

Both are a quality product. Both are about the same price.

VP Mark
05-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Get the 20ml Gloss-coat. You won't be disappointed.

kevincwelch
05-25-2015, 09:09 AM
I've tried gtechniq C1/EXO, 22PLE, Pinnacle Black Label coatings and soon to test Gyeon. Of the three I've tried, Gtechniq had the best combination of shine, hydrophobicity and durability. However, gtechniq was very labor intensive (2 separate coatings with more stringent temp and timing requirements). PBL was the easiest but flashed the quickest and was the least durable. 22PLE was easy to apply and had incredible shine. It lacked a little in the hydrophobic Department and the slickness, so I topped with 22PLE final coat. I'm going to go with 22PLE again this year for my car and top with Gyeon Booster.

Sent into the Ether via Tapatalk 🆒