PDA

View Full Version : Help

Rookie01
05-24-2015, 10:00 AM
I buffed my Jeep yesterday. It got dark so I stopped and went out this morning to finish. I used Meguiars ultimate compound and followed with Meguiars swirl remover. Buffer was Porter Cable 7424XP. It looked good when I finished however this morning my hood is ruined. It appears to have a million tiny web type scratches. What are they and can I fix it? You can't feel them. The surface is smooth.

rlmccarty2000
05-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Hard to tel much without touching the paint. Are those raised or down into the paint? If into the paint, looks like a wet sand job. If raised buff with compound and wool pad, follow up with polish. Best advice I can give without laying hands on the paint. I don't think it was anything you did unless your pad had rocks in it. Good luck.

hollerstiltner
05-24-2015, 10:15 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but it appears to be crows' feet. If that is the case, you either have to live with it or repaint.

This isn't likely something you did by polishing. Often times people only notice it once all the other defects are gone. Also, the polish may get into the tiny cracks and dry white, highlighting them even more.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/40855-clearcoat-fracturing-versus-clearcoat-failure.html

Paul A.
05-24-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm with hollerstiller on this one. That photo, to me, looks like little tiny clear coat fractures. I hate to say it but not anything you can do other than repaint by the looks of that photo. It does look much better in your assessment and that's a good thing.

Rookie01
05-24-2015, 10:34 AM
You can't feel anything when rubbing over the surface. There wasn't a single one before I buffed it and I didbt see them last night but it was getting dark. If it is crows feet would wet sanding and rebuffing get it out? Damn I was stoked at how good it was turning out. It was faded bad and I never buffed anything before. Watched some of Mikes videos and went for it. Now I feel I should have been happy with a faded dirty looking paint job

Rookie01
05-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Does the whole base coat clear coat have to be reapplied or can the surface be cleaned then scuffed and recleared?

DaveT435
05-24-2015, 01:53 PM
It's possible that your noticing them now because the polish dried in the tiny fractures making them white. I had this happen on a Black Acura.

VISITOR
05-24-2015, 04:19 PM
looks like a re-paint is in order or you'll have to live with it the way it is... :(

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34638&d=1432479605

mikeva
05-25-2015, 07:54 PM
ouch .... really sucks to think you are doing something good and have this result....

how old is the jeep?