PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

RDKC
05-23-2015, 09:39 PM
I am anxiously waiting on my order of Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant to arrive but I have one minor problem that I should have addressed before I even placed the order.

What would be the best way and/or product to clean the area prior to application of the sealant?

I checked the description on AG, on the product website, and I've searched these forums and all I can find is to clean it and make sure it is dry. I also have some Meg APC that's supposed to be here Tuesday and was going to just use that unless I can find something else. I bought the bottle for the cowl seal that is notorious for rotting. Mine did and I have my two replacement panels waiting for the Wolfgang to arrive so I can apply it before install. I want to make sure it's done right the first time.

EDIT: I will probably also experiment on the rest of the plastics too. It's a 2004 Escape that has been neglected for way too long. The leather seats were almost brown before I started cleaning them (they're grey. lol)

MPBGT
05-23-2015, 09:55 PM
I use Meg's apc to clean trim all the time. It should work fine for your purposes

hoyt66
05-24-2015, 04:19 AM
I am anxiously waiting on my order of Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant to arrive but I have one minor problem that I should have addressed before I even placed the order.

What would be the best way and/or product to clean the area prior to application of the sealant?

I checked the description on AG, on the product website, and I've searched these forums and all I can find is to clean it and make sure it is dry. I also have some Meg APC that's supposed to be here Tuesday and was going to just use that unless I can find something else. I bought the bottle for the cowl seal that is notorious for rotting. Mine did and I have my two replacement panels waiting for the Wolfgang to arrive so I can apply it before install. I want to make sure it's done right the first time.

EDIT: I will probably also experiment on the rest of the plastics too. It's a 2004 Escape that has been neglected for way too long. The leather seats were almost brown before I started cleaning them (they're grey. lol)

I use OPC first (any quality all purpose cleaner). I wipe down with a micro fiber after a car wash and then wipe down with distilled water to remove any cleaner left over. Let dry and apply the sealant as directed. For more textured plastic I gently scrub with a brush and apc to get all the dirt out . Sometimes a micro fiber won't get to it all. I have a set of mud flaps with heavy texture that I have to use a brush on to clean. For most of it though a micro fiber will do the job. You will love wgts! Good luck:dblthumb2:

PA DETAILER
05-24-2015, 05:18 AM
Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html) :xyxthumbs:
You may be able to find this OTC. Walmart/autozone/advanced auto.

Bunky
05-24-2015, 05:22 AM
Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html) :xyxthumbs:
You may be able to find this OTC. Walmart/autozone/advanced auto.

Agree. I know Advance sells it. For textured trim, you need to use the brush to get better results.

RDKC
05-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'll swing by the store sometime and pick up a bottle of the Mother's, still have a couple of days until the Wolfgang arrives.

rjd598
05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Getting the trim as clean as possible is key for the trim sealant to bond

RDKC
05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Getting the trim as clean as possible is key for the trim sealant to bond

That's what I'm aiming for. However, I know that some cleaners leave a residue that can affect product adhesion (at least for adhesives) and am trying to find the best way to prevent that.

RDKC
05-29-2015, 12:17 AM
I figured that I would follow up with some pictures but, I'm definitely not a photographer. Plus, lighting was horrid and you can't see much.

Let's just say that there was a slight difference after cleaning with the Mother's and a major difference after the Wolfgang was applied. I was shocked at two points of this.

1. That all of this came off one brand spanking new panel. I pulled it out of the box, out of the plastic bag, and cleaned it.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2863/medium/Before111.JPG

2. That the Wolfgang made any cosmetic difference at all on a brand new panel. Once it fully dries I may try a picture and see if I can get one to come out.

hdez
01-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Would we get better results applying first a product like:
Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, black plastic restorer, trim restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer-12oz.html)

Then the WETS right?

Also, can a wax or another protector (like Car Reaload) be on top of this?

wytstang
01-10-2016, 03:36 AM
Nope, needs a clean dry surface to bond well. The other restorer will just interfere with WETS. Not sure on the other question, WETS works fine all on it's own thought.