PDA

View Full Version : newbie needing suggestions

accarpenter
05-23-2015, 01:01 PM
I have never really worried much about my car looking great- it was just a functional mode of transportation. In addition they were always gold or silver metallic so a quick wash was fine. I recently stepped out of my comfort zone and my husband and I traded both cars. I bought a bright blue metallic mazda suv and my husband bought a black bmw. My problem is this....I have been using maguiar's ultimate paste wax on my car. The problem with my car is that the previous owners cared for it mechanically but were not much on waxing and taking care of the car. The paint clear coat are pretty good- but the car looks more like a dark navy car and you really do not notice the brighter blue or metallic to it. Is there a product that will restore the glossy new car clear coat look as well as enhancing the metallic appearance of the car?

My husband's bmw has swirl marks on the hood where the previous owner really liked car washes. We have been using the Maguiar's black paint wax kit. It works really good, but the swirls marks reappear after a wash. Is there a better product or protectant to keep it looking this way.

Lastly, I use a cheap buffer right now after waxing but am open to suggestions on a good buffer/polisher that won't break the bank.Feed back please

Billy Baldone
05-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Let's start with welcome to AGO. I will say the same thing to you I say to everyone, try and get with someone local to help you with what you want, and what different items do what. There is a metric ton of detailing goodies out there. Having someone local to you to walk you through the process will help you tremendously in both knowledge and cost savings. Good luck.

Retread
05-23-2015, 02:30 PM
It sounds like on your car you need a good cleaner/polish combo. This would also help with the swirls on the BMW. Then finish them with a good sealer/wax. I never use a polisher to "finish" my jobs-but I will use it to get the dullness and the swirls out. Always wax by hand, following the directions. I am sure someone will suggest good AG products-I think they are all great. Oh, don't polish more than 2 times a year, and wax it everyday if you have the stamina!!

Billy Baldone
05-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Ummmm..... You can wax by machine all the time, it spreads the product evenly and you uses less product. Again list your location and ask for local help

Clint McFarland
05-23-2015, 03:54 PM
If you prefer Meguirs then get their cleaner wax at any parts store and machine apply it...BOOM your done. Cheap machines do little work though. Buy a good one if you want to keep them looking good. A Porter Cable 7424 would be perfect for your situation as you want results without going broke

hollerstiltner
05-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Again list your location and ask for local help

The above is a great way to start.

If you want to go it alone, you first need to decide what you're willing to invest (in both time and money). Doing a proper detail can be very labor intensive.

You mentioned a cheap, but decent buffer. Check out the harbor freight da polisher. Retail is $70 and 20% off coupons are ubiquitous. I have a griots garage from autogeek and really like it.

If you just want the cars to look better than most. You may be content with a one step process with something like menzerna pf2500 as the polish and a good wax like collinite 915.

If you want to go all out, be prepared for 2 or 3 compounding/polishing steps and a fair bit of time and money.

Polishing is an important step in keeping a vehicle looking good, however it's the not the most important. Before buying all the buffers, polishes and waxes. Be sure to know how to maintain with proper washing and waxing.

I'm sure I left out a lot of info, but I hope that helps some.

accarpenter
05-23-2015, 07:49 PM
I live in Mississippi and have very limited options. The first month I had the car I used the Meguiar's cleaner wax weekly. It has been 2 months so I decided to try the ultimate synthetic wax. I applied 2 coats today and it looked better than usual. I usually wash and wax the cars every weekend. I have taken my car to a couple detail shops but they are very tight lipped about what steps and products they will use if I pay them to detail my car. I have a bit of a problem dropping $150 to not be told exactly what is being done to my car. When I go to Advance or Autozone there are so many options. I have thought about using MG Mirror Glaze. I just hate to mess the car up right off the bat.

Bill1234
05-23-2015, 08:05 PM
I have never really worried much about my car looking great- it was just a functional mode of transportation. In addition they were always gold or silver metallic so a quick wash was fine. I recently stepped out of my comfort zone and my husband and I traded both cars. I bought a bright blue metallic mazda suv and my husband bought a black bmw. My problem is this....I have been using maguiar's ultimate paste wax on my car. The problem with my car is that the previous owners cared for it mechanically but were not much on waxing and taking care of the car. The paint clear coat are pretty good- but the car looks more like a dark navy car and you really do not notice the brighter blue or metallic to it. Is there a product that will restore the glossy new car clear coat look as well as enhancing the metallic appearance of the car?

My husband's bmw has swirl marks on the hood where the previous owner really liked car washes. We have been using the Maguiar's black paint wax kit. It works really good, but the swirls marks reappear after a wash. Is there a better product or protectant to keep it looking this way.

Lastly, I use a cheap buffer right now after waxing but am open to suggestions on a good buffer/polisher that won't break the bank.Feed back please

Welcome to AG,
Your understanding is a bit limited and that is okay for being new. Wax is only a protectant and filler in this case. It does not remove any scratches or paint issues, just covers them up. To start, you would need to wash your car using two bucket method with grit guards. After, is where you get a gloss you are looking for. You would need to use a clay bar and lubricant. This picks up contaminants and debris that are stuck to paint and make the paint look a bit dull and not really that nice. Then you would need to polish, or compound then polish with a bmw and eventually you would wax. TLDR version, your paint needs to have all dirt removed, polished and a "wax" applied to look glossy and great in the sun

accarpenter
05-23-2015, 11:37 PM
I was planning on using a clay bar next weekend and currently use a two bucket method to wash. I am simply overwhelmed at all the product choices and was hoping to get recommendations on specific products. I am not really comfortable just picking stuff off the shelf and giving it a whirl- especially the polishes. Which products would be best on darker metallic cars vs the brilliant black clear coat. I would assume different paints would require different products. When I ask at the store I get...." I am not sure about that." Not a very comforting feeling.

03PAU
05-23-2015, 11:53 PM
I just started myself. Ordered a griots garage orbital buffer, meguiars ultimate compound and polish and pads. Pretty easy just read read read until you know which pads to use with what product. Watch a youtube video of someone using an orbital buffer and go to town. The ultimate compound and polish is a good moderate paint defect duo t o start with that's readily available.

Billy Baldone
05-24-2015, 06:25 AM
Since you are new and haven't committed to anything yet, you want the swirls and small scratches as close to 100% gone as you can get. Get the Meguires full 5" DA correction system with the new Meguires DA polisher. The whole kit is $290. I don't know if it is included in the sale or not. It is the simple easiest solution to get one kit and get you the results you are looking for. Add some quality microfibers to the order, and you are set.

Paul A.
05-24-2015, 09:50 AM
First of all, find a new detailer who is more than willing to explain what they do on each step and what products, process and results they expect from each. It bothers me to hear your "detailer" is unwilling to share that information. I would love to hear someone here who is close to you that is willing to do exactly that with you and your husband.

If you are willing to tackle your paint yourself there are plenty of relatively inexpensive options for you to explore. As a minimum, first perfect your wash and dry processes to dramatically reduce inflicting any more surface defects to both of your paints. Then, consider one of the many DA machine packages offered by AutoGeek here. Many are complete with machine, pads and polish products along with Mike Phillips book (Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine) and you'll have most of everything you'll need to see phenomenal results. I would guesstimate around $400-500 (if that is within your budget) will get you independent of that hack detailer who likes to be secretive!

Retread
05-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Ummmm..... You can wax by machine all the time, it spreads the product evenly and you uses less product. Again list your location and ask for local help

Billy you are 100% correct. I just prefer the old school wax by hand. I use the PorterCable for the polish or cleaner wax if needed.

When I use the orbital, sometimes I will use cleaner, polish and wax all at the same time. Especially on an older vehicle-it works good!