PDA

View Full Version : 3 miles on the odometer and the paint is contaminated

Pages : [1] 2

Nick McKees37
05-23-2015, 12:10 PM
My wife and I recently purchased a 2015 Subaru Outback. They didn't have a model on the lot configured the way we wanted it, so we had to order one. Fast forward 3 months and the dealership called us on a Friday to let us know the vehicle came, so we picked it up Sunday afternoon with 3 miles on the odometer. Fortunately the dealership listened to my request and did NOT wash it.

When we got the car home I gave it a quick detail. I was shocked at the amount of iron on the paint.

Just in case you're not up-to-speed on iron contaminants, here's a quick lesson:

Iron X by CarPro is an acid-free, pH-balanced iron remover that decontaminates auto paint and wheels. Iron X prevents the spread of iron-related damage to protect your vehicle from paint system failure. Your vehicle constantly faces unseen threats. Remove them with Iron X!

Airborne chemical compounds and ferrous (iron-containing) particles penetrate auto paint and create corrosive compounds that eat into the paint's sublayers. Detailing clay removes the particles but it doesn't remove their effects - corrosion may already be creeping under the paint's surface.

The only way to truly remove ferrous particles is with a dedicated iron remover like Iron X. Iron X opens up the paint's pores to release iron particles and to neutralize the caustic compounds that have developed as a result of the particle. In one step, you can eliminate the cause and its effects. Put an immediate stop to paint damage before it's too late.

Iron X is easy to use and you can see it working! Iron X is a clear solution in the bottle but it turns purple when it comes into contact with sintered iron particles.

Check it out

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=95184

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=95185

If I had to guess the iron contaminants were picked up during transport because of the cut line on the fender where the factory applied a protective wrap:

(brightness enhanced to show cut line)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=95183

Even if your car is new, you need to use Iron X! :dblthumb2:

Cquartz by CarPro Innovative Nano Coats (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-cquartz-products.html)

Kamakaz1961
05-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Wow! Nice ride BTW

Marc08EX
05-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Great photos showing how great IronX is.

Congratulations on the new ride Nick! Did you guys trade the Accord for the Outback?

medicscott
05-23-2015, 12:59 PM
I learn something new everyday on this site. Thanks for sharing. You know what would be really interesting is on the same side of the vehicle hit half with clay first then the other half and the clayed half with IronX to see the effect the clay has (if any) on removing the iron contamination.

Zubair
05-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Quick question, if a new undriven car has iron build up what is the point of deironing as it will no doubt have iron build up again in the next 100 miles or less or within a few days?

Also say you sprayed the iron remover and washed it off, if u spray again the areas that you just decontaminated will it turn colour again?
It just seems futile and unavoidable if a practically unused car has iron build up daily drivers will always be exposed and need a deiron every wash.

Jrocket
05-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Congrats on the new car.

Love Iron X.. use it on my vehicle once a month.. Mostly Wheels.. but the paint usually gets it 2 - 3 time per year.

SATracker
05-23-2015, 03:04 PM
I've detailed quite a few new cars straight from the lot with virtually no miles on them. How badly the iron returns depends on too many variables. I did my annual detail on a 2006 Accord, 84,000 miles and there was no iron denomination. Around the same time I did a 2014 Corolla, can't remember the mileage, and it had very minor iron decontamination.
I like Iron-X, great product.

SamRothstein
05-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Sweet ride, we just picked up a '15 Outback at the end of March and love it! Here's me hoping you post some Outback specific tips :)

J Cole
05-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Quick question, if a new undriven car has iron build up what is the point of deironing as it will no doubt have iron build up again in the next 100 miles or less or within a few days?

Also say you sprayed the iron remover and washed it off, if u spray again the areas that you just decontaminated will it turn colour again?
It just seems futile and unavoidable if a practically unused car has iron build up daily drivers will always be exposed and need a deiron every wash.

Well it would depend on how far the car was driven from the factory to the dealership. If it was something like 1,000 miles (no idea if this is realistic) then that would be equivalent to three weeks of driving.

BUT you also have to take into account that the car has absolutely no protection on it as far as LSP's go. So when you wash the car every couple weeks that already has an LSP on it less iron will accumulate on the paint since you're washing it off.

There's definitely a large advantage to at least checking your vehicle for iron contamination every time you wash. I've cleaned vehicles 11 months old where the damage from iron contamination was very visible and starting to turn a rust color.

http://i.imgur.com/cgyt9NO.jpg

The entire hatch of this Tahoe looked like this. Some spots not as bad and some were worse.

I'm not sure how long you have to let it go on for it to make it's way through the clear coat and to bare metal - but I don't want to find out either. :props:

RDKC
05-23-2015, 08:36 PM
I can't speak to the normalcy of new car paint contamination but I can speak a little to travel and storage before they are sold.

Yours, being ordered, probably didn't sit for too long but cars sit on lots for months waiting on transport. After that, they travel thousands of miles to dealers at times. For example, if you buy a Claycomo, MO made F-150 new from the dealer, it could have taken that journey on the back of an open trailer for that nearly 2000 miles. They also transport via train throughout the US.

I'm babbling and I know next to nothing about paint contamination.

My point is that they aren't under ideal circumstances before they're sold as new and it doesn't surprise me much.

jsgntulok
05-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Nick, you are going to really like your new Outback. My husband and I have 2 2015 2.5i Limited Outbacks. One is Ice Silver, the other Carbide Gray. Detailed the Carbide Gray today and applied Blackfire Crystal Coating. By the way, did you get Eyesight?

oldmodman
05-24-2015, 04:28 AM
It's the delivery by railroad that really gives the paint a nice layer of embedded iron particles.
They come right off the steel wheels grinding across the steel rails.

I special ordered a 2003 Cobra in Yellow and when it arrived (with not being touched by the dealer at all) it was covered in little tiny red specs.
Since 2003 was before iron-X came on the market I had to use clay to remove them all. it took two days of pretty hard work to get them all off the paint. And naturally i had to polishn the brand new paint to remove the clay caused marring.

Now I use Iron-X on every car FIRST. And new or old, they all look like they are bleeding to death from the Iron-X removing so much in the way if iron contaminants.

RDKC
05-24-2015, 02:18 PM
It's the delivery by railroad that really gives the paint a nice layer of embedded iron particles.
They come right off the steel wheels grinding across the steel rails.

I special ordered a 2003 Cobra in Yellow and when it arrived (with not being touched by the dealer at all) it was covered in little tiny red specs.
Since 2003 was before iron-X came on the market I had to use clay to remove them all. it took two days of pretty hard work to get them all off the paint. And naturally i had to polishn the brand new paint to remove the clay caused marring.

Now I use Iron-X on every car FIRST. And new or old, they all look like they are bleeding to death from the Iron-X removing so much in the way if iron contaminants.

I figured it'd be the trains. You'd get more carbon if anything over the road. I don't know much about trains though, I work truck freight, not rails.

Every time I've seen them they seem to have less covers when loaded on the trains too and it's a mostly open box. (I see them quite a bit when the trains block the road to work. I work next to the GM plant here.)

rjd598
05-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Still amazes me the condition cars come from the factory

TMQ
05-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Nick...
Congrats on the outback. I just picked mine up past
feb. Love it...
Question...what are your plans to protect the the black cladding on the lower sides, lower front and rear bumpers and the black top rails? Mine looks great and new looking. Concerns I have is later down the road when things start looking bit "aged"...
Tom