PDA

View Full Version : Engine detailing mistakes and how to fix?

Pages : [1] 2

MTHall51
09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, another challenge here. Apparently the last person to detail my engine bay used a clear coat Acrylic Enamel to coat plastic pieces, and looks like just about everything else too. Quite a few spots look ok, but some spots such as the plastic oil filler cap, and the plastic covering part of the engine look like the coating is uneven.

So, TWO BIG questions:
1] Is there a Poor Boys or other product that I can apply over ALL plastic and rubber pieces and rub it good (considering every bit probably has the acrylic on it)

2] Is there some plastic scratch remover stuff I can use to remove the acrylic where it looks uneven?

I have more a problem than I had anticipated.

ecetim
09-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Got any pictures?

MTHall51
09-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I hope my digital camera will be able to produce pics that are high enough resoultion.

Pauly6401
09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
You could try PlastX, I use that to remove scratches in headlights and taillights.

Barring that, wetsanding and hand polishing?

MTHall51
09-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Got any pictures?

Here are the pics.
I am really embarassed to show the pics on this car. I realize most people on this forum have very nice high ticket, exotic wheels, but this is my daily driver and until I can get a better paying position this is going to be it. I am also trying to make a point that I can take a very modest car and make it look better than it is right now.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/MTHall49/Engine2.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/MTHall49/Engine1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/MTHall49/Engine3.jpg

MTHall51
09-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Is there enough detail here to make it clear what challenges I am facing with the vehicle?

Would this also be the forum to post pics of trim, interior and paint to get advice specifically for what I have?

makdaddy626
09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
There's no reason to be embarassed... at ALL. I know that some people on the forum have some really nice cars, some are showing pictures of cars that they've detailed that are not their own. I think someone going the extra mile to take care of what they have whether it's a $100,000.00 sports car or a $1000.00 daily beater says something about their character. Now let's see some picks of the full detial.

Surfer
09-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I've not used nor know anybody that has used some of those acrylic coatings on engines, not sure, but I would assume any good degreaser or APC would take care of it while scrubbing with brush. But there are different versions of that product if I recall with some lasting months and others being more permanent kinda like a clear coat.

MTHall51
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
There's no reason to be embarassed... at ALL. I know that some people on the forum have some really nice cars, some are showing pictures of cars that they've detailed that are not their own. I think someone going the extra mile to take care of what they have whether it's a $100,000.00 sports car or a $1000.00 daily beater says something about their character. Now let's see some picks of the full detial.

Thanks very much. I appreciate the encouraging words.
With that said, OK to post all the pics of what it is now, to get advice on what I plan to do next -- I mean specifics for each aspect of the detailing and get some ideas as to whether what I plan to do is a good idea, or not?

Racin10s
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Very good idea. Nothing like getting advice from the experts before doing your first full detail!!!

MBluvr
09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
You might try using some amonia. Amonia is used to strip acrylic floor polishes. I suggest apply some amonia, household amonia will do, to the coated area and let it sit for a while. Then just rinse off with water. Good Luck

TOGWT
09-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Use an undiluted safe solvent ( d-limonenebased P21S Total Auto Wash or Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner) i.e. solvents that do not contain any harmful components (butyl, heptanes or xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents) With all cleaning products (especially solvents) always test a small inconspicuous area first to ensure it won't discolour, stain or etch the surface,

MTHall51
09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks. I will try this. I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Fredrick2003
09-17-2007, 10:57 PM
I am going to detail my own engine soon, maybe tomorrow, but I will not use acrylic anything.

You said that your engine looks bad, but judging by the pictures you have one of the best looking engines I have seen, except for a little problem with the oil cap.

Just wondering how everything turned out for you, and if any of these suggestions fixed the problem.

supercharged
09-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I think you are gonna need a good engine degreaser, like DP to degrease the engine bay and start over...