PDA

View Full Version : Automotive tape won't stick!

CC268
05-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Sorry for all the posts, this should be my last one.

Anyways, the truck is all ready for Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion and Collinite 845 tomorrow! This will be my first time using a DA (Griot's). I am trying to tape the door handles, etc, but the tape just won't stick.

I applied Wolfgang Trim Sealant to all the trim (I did it before I clayed the truck so that any excess that got on the paint would be taken off. I am not sure what to do at this point other than try to wax without taping. The Wolfgang Trim Sealant is just not letting that tape stick!

rms64
05-21-2015, 08:01 PM
There's not a limit for posts :cheers:

I think my suggestion would be to either try a different tape, or just be careful and (if you're waxing by machine) slow up a few inches from the handles and finish by hand, or if by hand you shouldn't have an issue if you're careful.

I tend to tape when I'm compounding / polishing but haven't had problems when waxing - remember to apply thin and you should be fine.

Good luck!

CC268
05-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Yea I tried two different tapes with the same result...seems a bit odd...I am polishing and waxing with my new Griots

CC268
05-21-2015, 11:05 PM
I really need to figure this out...I would like to have things taped off

builthatch
05-21-2015, 11:12 PM
you treated trim and are trying to tape it?

that's not going to work.

don't worry about it, esp if you are just applying wax by machine lol

get as close as you can with machine and then apply by hand if you are not able to get close enough.

next time, your order of operations should be something like: clean the entire vehicle, including trim, as much as possible, tape, correct, apply lsp and treat trim, whether it's a temporary product or something more permanent.

CC268
05-21-2015, 11:15 PM
Well I am doing a cleanser wax followed by Collinite 845 (LSP)...yea I figured after that I should have done the trim last...oh well

lawrenceSA
05-22-2015, 04:30 AM
Agree with the others - the tape won't stick if you have already 'dressed' it...

Just a heads up, although Collinite specifically state NOT to get their products on the trim, I have INTENTIONALLY used 845 on the black exterior plastics (you know, just to see what would happen [it was my own car]) and it actually worked a charm to improve the look and provide some protection.

Now I am certainly not advocating its use for this purpose as I haven't tested it on every type of plastic under all conditions and therefore cannot make any claims that it will always work, or won't sometimes stain trim.... however, I think you don't need to worry as much as you are about accidentally touching some black plastic with the 845.

:dunno:

BillyJack
05-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Agree with the others - the tape won't stick if you have already 'dressed' it...

Just a heads up, although Collinite specifically state NOT to get their products on the trim, I have INTENTIONALLY used 845 on the black exterior plastics (you know, just to see what would happen [it was my own car]) and it actually worked a charm to improve the look and provide some protection.

Now I am certainly not advocating its use for this purpose as I haven't tested it on every type of plastic under all conditions and therefore cannot make any claims that it will always work, or won't sometimes stain trim.... however, I think you don't need to worry as much as you are about accidentally touching some black plastic with the 845.

:dunno:

X2. I've treated textured wiper cowling with 845 and it beads nearly forever. Just don't let it haze; Wipe it clean immediately.

Bill