PDA

View Full Version : layering times ..curing away from moisture?

Rod73
05-20-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm am aware there is that 12 hour window at least for layering and optimal performance for sealants in general like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

I have many different stories for carnauba waxes, spray sealants. Lately hearing it's recommended to wait 12 hours between layering a carnauba waxes just like a sentence which was news to me. I've also heard the Collinite line is a little bit of a maverick in that sense.

I'm curious to know what system you guys follow in terms of how you wait to layer or expose in general to the elements? For personal use or for a customer cars?

I half WGDGPS, Crystal Seal, Klasse AIO, Fuzion and Souverän Paste wax.

Don M
05-20-2015, 06:16 PM
I will put a second coat on immediately just to ensure complete coverage. After that I wait the 'standard' 12-24 hour window before applying anything else. I don't have a garage, so exposure to the elements is an uncontrollable issue.

FUNX650
05-20-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm curious to know what system you guys follow in terms of how you wait to layer

I will sometimes actually do two separate applications of a
Carnauba-based Wax...just to ensure total coverage...
somewhere around, let's see (I'll guess-ti-mate it to be):
~ an hour apart, or so.

I suppose, if you want to...you could consider
the above application technique to be "layering".

Bob

Lost Highway
05-20-2015, 06:45 PM
There is no general rule, it is product specific. Some waxes and sealants you can even apply outside in light rain while other may ask for dry conditions for (optimally) 48 hours or more during and immediately post application. Some products you can (or must) layer within an hour or so post application while others require a 12 to 24 hour curing period prior to adding another layer.