PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Paint Protect (spray version)

hernandez.art13
05-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Hello everyone,

So I sanded my headlights with 1,500 and rotary buffed them and polished them with M100 and M205.

I haven't had much luck with the headlight coatings. Plus they are pricey, so thinking from a business point of view. Since Meguiar's Paint Protect is advertised of having 365 days of protection. I thought well why not try that, plus if it does offer a good amount of lasting protection. I figured it would be a good way to go from a business side, for headlight protection. I bought the bottle at my local auto parts store for $10.

Like always I thought outside the box and thought to myself, "I wonder if it would work in a spray bottle."

So I go and bought a bottle for $1 and tried it out and thought to myself, "This seems to work great, let me double check, I am going to Meguiar's tomorrow so let's see what Michael Stoops thinks of my idea."

So if you have paint protect, transfer it to a small bottle and enjoy a faster application proces!

P.s. a birdie told me Meguiars will be introducing a new product. Cant say who told me, or what will it be.

Enjoy!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/78680d9b428a4e4895d3082fa3585ae3.jpg

Dereksdtail
05-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Sweet!

The Guz
05-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Hopefully their new product is something real nice.

I like your idea about the spray bottle and that you are using it on headlights. I am still not a fan of how the shape of the beads are on paint. They are to oblong shaped for my liking.

Matt-erhorn
05-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Going to have to try this again with a better bottle. Tried some and it jammed the sprayer I was using. Then again it was a cheap sample size sprayer.

Jaretr1
05-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Maybe it works better as a headlight protectant than a paint protectant. Will be interesting to hear the results.

hernandez.art13
05-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Maybe it works better as a headlight protectant than a paint protectant. Will be interesting to hear the results.
I am doubting it'll work better, however, I am hoping it works just as good.

HateSwirls
05-21-2015, 06:54 AM
I now only use it on faded black trim.
Very surprising as how well it works to darken the color, once buffed off it's dry and has a nice look to the trim.
Use it on bumpers, side moldings and mirrors.

Not sure how long it will hold up but it's made for plastics, no staining and will not streak if the treated trim gets wet.

hernandez.art13
05-22-2015, 11:38 AM
I am pretty sure I'm going to be testing out Solution Finish and Paint Protect in the near future. To see how they compare to each other on trim. Thanks for the tip Kevin.

Jaretr1
05-22-2015, 12:52 PM
I am pretty sure I'm going to be testing out Solution Finish and Paint Protect in the near future. To see how they compare to each other on trim. Thanks for the tip Kevin.

Have you tried Black Wow on trim?

hernandez.art13
05-22-2015, 12:58 PM
I have not, the trim work I have done has mainly been with Solution Finish. Since I know Chris and he can always advise me and help me out too, plus to show support. However, I am a big Meguiar's user, so that would be a great option to have to.

hernandez.art13
05-22-2015, 01:10 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/22/0c8b3d9084b3f0e6648659107abe53ad.jpg

The above is Solution Finish, if I could get similar results with Meguiar's paint protect that would be a great addition to my arsenal.

I think I might see her this weekend (The Jeep Owner) so I'm curious to see how Solution Finish has been holding up.

A bit off topic, however, when I was opening up the bottle of Paint Protect, I got some on my sweater, hours later I went to wash my hands and checked if that area beaded water and yes, my sweater beaded water (on that spot lol) so I'm thinking, "That's pretty cool," and forget about it.

Well a week goes by and I put my sweater to wash with my other laundry and after drying and folding. I checked if it still beaded water and yep it did like the first time. It also stained my grey sweater btw (it left a spot)

So my hope is that the durability holds up on my headlights, paint and yet to check, but trim on a car. (Not going to test it on my car btw :D )

HateSwirls
05-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Have you tried Black Wow on trim?

Your welcome man:dblthumb2:
It gives you amazing results.
We use it daily.

Once applied let it cure to the plastic trim then a light buff is all that's needed.

I'm going to stock up on the product just in case it goes bye-bye.
Loving it. :dblthumb2:

Let me know what you think about once to try it.

Btw....We use a grout sponge to apply it.

Kengo123
05-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Does paint protect add any candy like gloss like other sealants?

Dereksdtail
05-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Does paint protect add any candy like gloss like other sealants?

No gloss, pretty slick though

The Guz
05-24-2015, 02:39 AM
No gloss. The paint appears dark because of the carrier oils in the product. That goes away after a few days. The slickness is from the carrier oils as well. It dissipates after the first wash or 2. And I mean the surface is now free from those oils that it is not super slick like when first applied.