PDA

View Full Version : Stain Removal Tips

AustrianOak82
05-20-2015, 10:31 AM
I have a car coming in tonight with soda stains (per the owner) on the seats and some other soiling on the carpets. He said he has been to two other high-level shops who couldnt remove it. Not sure how "high-level" they are but you get the point. He said it has been damp the last time it came back, so thinking they just used hot water extraction and called it a day. He said it keeps reappearing.

My plan is to hit it with some APC 10:1 and/or Folex and agitate, followed by my VX with a terry towel to loosen. From there, planned on hitting it close-up with the single head then triangle head again. Last resort will be hot water extraction.

Anyone have any tips or input on removing soda stains or had this issue before? Thoughts on my approach.

Natron
05-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Something is not jiving, either they are not high end or it is not soda. Your plan sounds solid, although I would hot water extract as a first rather than last resort. I don't let the customer have the car until its dry. sounds like they will be no match for you.

medicscott
05-20-2015, 11:51 AM
I use a toronador gun and dilute the APC 3:1 for stains that are a real PIA. And like the above poster said, never give the car back until everything is dry. I can't tell you how many times an area dries with a ring around it or something else appears cosmetically incorrect. Once it's dry and it looks perfect you know you are in the clear.

Kyle_Elantra
05-20-2015, 03:54 PM
I'd also recommend starting with hot water extraction - after agitating. Folex is non magnetic so you should be fine.

AustrianOak82
05-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Well, of course the customer cancelled. I was looking forward to this one actually. Thanks guys.

AutowerxDetailing
05-20-2015, 11:29 PM
If it's on the seats and the stains keep coming back you have to ask why this is happening? Because the stain is in the foam under the fabric. If you use hot water extraction it will do the same thing because you will be injecting water deep into the seating foam and as the material dries it will bring the stain up to the surface again.

The trick is to clean the fabric with the least amount of water possible (this should always be the goal anyway to avoid mildew problems). A steamer wrapped with a MF towel is sometimes a good option.

dcjredline
05-21-2015, 12:15 AM
That is why I foam up a bucket of APC car soap mix and use just the suds. Sometimes I will scrub with a brush dipped in hot water and vacuum right after. I dont have a HWE but wish I did sometimes.