PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 guys needed - Pontoon Boat Project - Tomorrow! (Wednesday)

Mike Phillips
05-19-2015, 04:47 PM
2-3 guys needed - Pontoon Boat Project - Tomorrow! (Wednesday) (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/marine-31-boat-detailing-classes/91730-2-3-guys-needed-pontoon-boat-project-tomorrow-wednesday.html)

Start time is 8:00am, Wednesday May 20th

For all our regular Thursday night guys as I mentioned last week during the Bayliner wetsanding project, I might have a Pontoon boat here next week.

Well it's next week. :D

I knocked out one side but the other side still needs an extreme makeover. I did a lot of tool, pad and product testing and dialed-in a system that makes restoring neglected and oxidized aluminum Bubba-proof with just about any tool.

The other side still needs to be machine sanded and buffed. I'm going to start at 8:00am and work till she's finished.

My guess is by myself I can knock this project out in about 5 to 6 hours. With a 2 to 3 guys helping I think we can knock it out in 3 hours max.

Note: Buffing out aluminum a lot more work than buffing out a car so keep that in mind when volunteering. I've dialed-in a process that takes a LOT of the labor out of this type of work but still, you're going to be sanding and buffing.

If you want to be a part of this project please reply to this thread or shoot me an e-mail.

mike.phillips@autogeek.net (mike.phillips@autogeek.net)

I'll be in the garage at 8:00am for anyone that wants to join in the fun...

Here's the before shot....

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/536/Sun_Tracker_Pontoon_Boat_001.jpg

This my friends are what I call test spots....

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/536/Sun_Tracker_Pontoon_Boat_009.jpg

This side is ready for the Sandbar!

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/536/Sun_Tracker_Pontoon_Boat_011.jpg

Before

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/536/Sun_Tracker_Pontoon_Boat_008.jpg

After

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/536/Sun_Tracker_Pontoon_Boat_010.jpg

So it's just the other side of this Pontoon boat we have to tackle and with the system I've dialed-in it will go pretty fast.

Do wear work clothes as you tend to get dirty when sanding and buffing aluminum.

:xyxthumbs:

vtec92civic
05-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Mike, what was your process for restoring the aluminum. I've seen some pretty awesome videos of people who do this for a living however not all of us detailers have the tools they have LoL.

I'm guessing you sanded with various gritts and used a buffing wheel of some sort to hammer out the aluminum?

FrankS
05-19-2015, 07:17 PM
I think I can make it Mike, I'll most likely see you at 8am.

Mike Phillips
05-19-2015, 08:25 PM
I think I can make it Mike, I'll most likely see you at 8am.

Sounds good Frank. Antti e-mailed me said he might join us.

I have the process down to make it super simple and the results are both consistent and exceptional.

I chose this boat because it was in horribly neglected condition so the good news is if the aluminum on this boat can be restored then the aluminum on any boat can be restored.

Even better news is we'll knock out the port side inside the air conditioned Show Car Garage. I did the starboard side outside to test in real-world conditions as my pictures will document.

See you tomorrow.

:dblthumb2:

Aaryn NZ
05-20-2015, 02:15 AM
FUN! :dblthumb2:

Theres something really cool about metal polishing. Be it wheels or an Airstream trailer, its just plain fun! Oh & hard work . . . mostly fun. Doubt I'd want to solely be a metal polisher but enjoy the dramatic results.

Have fun team - would love to be there to lend a hand, go home with black snot etc etc but alas - Bob got an RV & not an Autogeek jet to drop by & pick me up Hahaha. :xyxthumbs:

Aaryn NZ.

antti@561detailing
05-20-2015, 04:42 PM
FUN! :dblthumb2:

Theres something really cool about metal polishing. Be it wheels or an Airstream trailer, its just plain fun! Oh & hard work . . . mostly fun. Doubt I'd want to solely be a metal polisher but enjoy the dramatic results.

Have fun team - would love to be there to lend a hand, go home with black snot etc etc but alas - Bob got an RV & not an Autogeek jet to drop by & pick me up Hahaha. :xyxthumbs:

Aaryn NZ.

When someone calls me about metal polishing, I will give them your number. It's a lot of hard work and no fun...just a hard work...only fun is when it's over...

Aaryn NZ
05-21-2015, 03:28 AM
When someone calls me about metal polishing, I will give them your number. It's a lot of hard work and no fun...just a hard work...only fun is when it's over...

No worries mate. :dblthumb2:

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Aaryn NZ.

damaged442
05-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Definintely can't help from NY, but I am very interested to see the products and system used. My parents have a 24' with some neglected pontoons! I'd like to shine up the old party barge!!

Mike Phillips
05-21-2015, 07:49 AM
When someone calls me about metal polishing, I will give them your number.

It's a lot of hard work and no fun...just a hard work...only fun is when it's over...

I agree.

Buffing out large aluminum things is a GREAT educational experience because it teaches you what it's like and for some it's the type of work you want to avoid.

I would like to thank both you and Frank for helping me knock out the Port side pontoon yesterday. I tell you what... it was a LOT nicer doing the multiple steps in the air conditioned garage than when I did the Starboard pontoon outside in full sun. :laughing:

I'm leaving right now to return the boat to the boat yard and it will be fun to see the look on the faces of the guys down at American Yachts.

FrankS
05-21-2015, 08:16 AM
...I'm leaving right now to return the boat to the boat yard and it will be fun to see the look on the faces of the guys down at American Yachts.

Keep us posted Mike, I'm interested to see their reaction :).

antti@561detailing
05-21-2015, 10:00 AM
I agree.

Buffing out large aluminum things is a GREAT educational experience because it teaches you what it's like and for some it's the type of work you want to avoid.

I tell you what... it was a LOT nicer doing the multiple steps in the air conditioned garage than when I did the Starboard pontoon outside in full sun. :laughing:

It was GREAT experience and thank you for providing us with those lessons.

I can't believe that you did it outside...and still showed up next day :)

Let us know what they thought.