PDA

View Full Version : Door Jamb Cleaning

Lustrous Detail
05-19-2015, 02:51 PM
Hi. I use CG All Clean diluted 10:1 for door jamb cleaning which includes the door hinges. What is a good lube for the hinges?

SameGuy
05-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Anything truly tenacious with a spray carrier that disappears. Wurth white lithium grease or HHS-2000 spray lube both work really well. I find HHS-2000 has more uses around the garage so I stock more of it.

oldmodman
05-19-2015, 03:12 PM
I use a steamer to clean the greasy residue from door jams.

Not a fancy one, just a $49.00 McCulloch from Harbor Freight.

Don't even use any soap.

If it's only "dirt" then I just hit the jams with a shot of APC and agitate with a brush, then rinse with water.

Then a quick spray with white lithium grease and I wipe off all the overspray right away. I wrap paper towels on a length of dowel to keep the overspray from attracting dirt.

99monguse
05-19-2015, 03:55 PM
WD40 on a rag will clean greasy jambs EASILY

BillyJack
05-19-2015, 04:53 PM
What is a good lube for the hinges?

My favorite is the 85W gear lube used in differentials. I use a small squeeze bottle from the hobby shop with a needlepoint applicator, intended for model trains or R/C cars. It's heavy enough to last a long time, but penetrates the pivot points well. Aerosols for me are just to hard to regulate. I hate creating overspray on an area I just scrubbed up nice and clean.

Bill

Lustrous Detail
05-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Thank you all!

99monguse
05-20-2015, 07:42 AM
My favorite is the 85W gear lube used in differentials. I use a small squeeze bottle from the hobby shop with a needlepoint applicator, intended for model trains or R/C cars. It's heavy enough to last a long time, but penetrates the pivot points well. Aerosols for me are just to hard to regulate. I hate creating overspray on an area I just scrubbed up nice and clean.

Bill

The worst smelling chemical in the auto industry is GEAR oil...I would die, if I had to smell that every time I got in/out of my car! Two years ago I changed the diff oil in my 12 bolt for my 1999 Camaro SS, I got a little on a shirt...I ended up throwing out the shirt cause I couldn't get the stink out of it from the gear oil!