PDA

View Full Version : Really confused now

kecko
05-19-2015, 03:05 AM
Hey everyone...When I first started reading everything regarding polishing, it seemed fairly straightforward but now that I've read more and more and have looked at other products I am not sure what I should be using. I'm hoping for a little help in determining if what I have at my disposal currently will work for me or if I need to regroup and buy something else. Below are some of the products I've bought. I will be using a Griot's DA fitted with Lake Country backing plates.

Compound, Polishes, wax and sealants - available at this time

CG's V36 cutting polish
CG's V38 Final polish
CG's Jet Seal
CG's Butter Wet Wax
CG's V07 spray sealant
Menzerna SF4500
Klasse High gloss sealant glaze
Meguiar's NXT Tech wax 2.0 - Paste

Pads - available at this time

CG's Hex Pads (4" & 5.5")

Orange - Medium/Heavy duty cutting
White - Light/Medium polishing
Black - Finishing
Red - Ultra fine polishing

Uber (6.5" included w/ Griot's kit)

Orange - Medium cutting
Green - Polishing
Black - Wax / sealant

I am mainly concentrating on my Boston Red, 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo, which from what I'm assuming has very soft paint. The paint is in fairly good shape. Free from scratches and has minor/medium swirling. I also noticed quite a bit of orange coat from the factory but I'm honestly not too worried about it because you have to be fairly close to even see it. I have always applied sealant/wax to my cars but always by hand and have never polished. I plan to use foam cannon and CG's Honeydew snow foam to break down any dirt, then Gary Dean's wash method to wash, rinse, decontaminate using Iron X, rinse and then clay. This will be my first time using the Nanoskin fine grade clay mitt and trying to remember to use it on my windows first before my paint to prevent any major marring.

Advice about my polishing products is welcome and appreciated. I know allot of members here don't care for Chemical Guys products and I'm completely open to other products. I'd also appreciate product suggestions for wiping down my car after polishing. I planned on using IPA solution unless there is something much better, safer and efficient, before I applied my sealant.

The one thing I worry about at this point is working the polish too slow and it drying out on me so something that can be worked for a bit and doesn't dust terribly is what I'd like to check out. I am also worried about the products and the pads I have. I am not sure how you tell if a polish is water based or not and depending on that if the pads would work well. I see good reviews on the LC CCS pads but not sure if I have a need for them with the products I currently own.

Also, given the fact that my paint is in relatively good condition do I skip compounding and go straight into polishing with a light cut pad or is there a better option. I know you should start light with a light pad anyway.

That's where I am at right now. Sorry this is so long. I'd like to get going on this soon but more worried about my products at this point more than I am worried about the task at hand. Any help is appreciate. Thanks in advance.

-Keith

medicscott
05-19-2015, 05:36 AM
Keith. This is really hard to answer because you'll get 100 different responses from 100 different people. Good news is, you have all the tools necessary to make your car shine. Now the question is do you have the right products.

I've found that there is wide variability in the products out there. All have their own features and benefits. While all have their limitations and downfalls. Your goal should be to mess around with a bunch of different things and come up with your own recipie for success.

I've also found that sometimes the products I love respond better to black paint than white paint, that some waxes are better than some sealants, and so on and so forth.

It can get very expensive and not to mention annoying to keep trying new after new from a consistency standpoint. Eventually you want to get to where you can eyeball an exterior and know in your head how you want to attack it.

After years of trying lots of different options I've settled mostly on Pinnacle's brand of products. While one can argue this particular AIO is better than that one, and this compound is worse than that one, again, you'll drive yourself nuts with all the different choices. I've done extensive reading on this board, testing myself, and pinnacle provides reliability and gorgeous results.

Every once in a while to keep them honest, I'll try something else to make sure I'm keeping current with the latest technologies and I'm not potentially passing up "something better" for instance I'm interested in trying 3D Speed as my AIO versus XMT 360.

Whether you settle on Meguires for maximum profit, Wolfgang, DP, Pinnacle CG, or the 100 other choices, look for what's easiest for you to work with, consistent among all the color groups, and within your budget. My customer base is willing to pay extra for Pinnacle excellence so it's win/win for all.

Sorry for the long winded message but I wish someone sent this to me when I started out. Best of luck. Scott

Don M
05-19-2015, 06:00 AM
medicscott had a lot of good to say and I won't try to add to what he said. But as far as how to start, if you indeed have soft paint in 'good' condition, skip the compounding and start with a mild polish and remember the Golden Rule: "Less is Best, Always Start With the Least Aggressive Method Needed to Achieve the Results You Want."

Desertnate
05-19-2015, 07:51 AM
If you are going to go the Klasse route, I'd be sure to do that wipe down or apply Klasse AIO first. In order for it to bond to the paint properly and be as durable as expected, it needs a very clean surface.

Nothing more to add to the great advice provided already.

kecko
05-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas.

Desertnate, I didn't plan on using Klasse, honestly. Its product I have had for a couple years now. CG's Jet Seal is what I bought to try out while I learn to polish.

I welcome others recommendations, especially products made for very soft paint.

Setec Astronomy
05-19-2015, 09:44 AM
OP, where are you located? Sounds like you need a little hands-on, maybe there is a member local to you.

MattPersman
05-19-2015, 11:24 AM
I would if I had the stuff you had...Try the sf4500 on the white pad in a test spot and see how it looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souldetailer
05-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Hey Kieth,

I don't know, to me, you are all set up. I haven't read the other responses and don't care to, though their advice may be spot on, I just comment on how I feel. Dude, I started exactly like you, and mind you I'm no pro, but I'm smart. I ask Q's all the time, even though I may be set in my ways. There are an incredible amount of folks to bounce these questions, but everyone is different. Learn the products and techniques then apply them to your sensibility. I also have the GG6 with backings of 3, 4, & 6".
LC pads to match. You can do it all with this set-up, and do it by hand in special circumstances that apply, just feel it, it's not so mechanical if you let your passion show thru. OK, I done (jumping off my little soapbox) Good luck, take care & have FUN! :buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

kecko
05-20-2015, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the information.