PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question:Am I supposed to Compound, Polish, and Wax the Glass?

TheAverageMan
05-19-2015, 01:04 AM
New to detailing, so some confirmation questions.

Am I supposed to be compounding or polishing the windshield and windows? I already hand waxed my windshield, but once I get a DA, I don't know whether I'm supposed to polish the glass too.

SameGuy
05-19-2015, 01:26 AM
You can, yes. But other than the mildest water spots, polishing won't do much to clarify glass. Your wipers will definitely work better, though. :)

As you get more "into" the detailing hobby, you might try polishing the glass with dedicated glass polish and associated DA pads from CarPro, followed by "coating" the glass with a glass-specific product.

TFTADetail
05-19-2015, 08:59 AM
You can, yes. But other than the mildest water spots, polishing won't do much to clarify glass. Your wipers will definitely work better, though. :)

As you get more "into" the detailing hobby, you might try polishing the glass with dedicated glass polish and associated DA pads from CarPro, followed by "coating" the glass with a glass-specific product.

+1

david b
05-19-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm new at this too. Just started using a good glass cleaner and sealant(Pinnacle) on my dd and that is definitely the way to go. Clean the glass, apply the sealant by hand, wait a few minutes and wipe off. Quick and easy. I can drive down the interstate and the water just beads off the windshield. Hardly use my wipers anymore. Good luck to you!

hogie
05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Wax or sealant can cloud up your windows so you may not get ideal results.

Calendyr
05-19-2015, 01:10 PM
It's a good idea to decontaminate the glass with a clay bar or nanoskin sponge once in a while followed with a compound and polish.

I would definatelly not put sealant on the windshield. You could use it on the side Windows if you want but if I were you I would go with a window specific water repellant like Rain-X or Aquapel.

Dr_Pain
05-19-2015, 01:36 PM
If you are going that far, why not just coat your glass with CarPro Forte. Could not be easier, is a long lasting option and SOOOOOO easy to put on you would kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I use to seal windshields all the time but no longer do it. It normally does not last and since you are applying a polymer based product overtime it does breakdown and leave a film which needs to be tended to. Forte the glass and the wipers and call it a do (after you decon and polish the glass)