PDA

View Full Version : DP headlight restoration kit review.

medicscott
05-18-2015, 08:22 PM
So this is one product that I wanted to work in the worst way. Seemed so much easier than wet sanding. Unfortunately I used it for the first time this weekend on an 03 Mercedes with heavy oxidation. It just didn't do much. No matter how many times I hit it, nothing. Made a very slight improvement at best.

So I grabbed the traditional sandpaper and went at it. Then used the DP as my polish. Came out looking like new.

Anyone use this stuff on milder oxidized lenses? I also tried it on a police car lightbar to help out a friend make his cruiser look great and I had to resort to wet sanding on that also. Since the product reviews on Autogeek seem awfully positive, I'm wondering why I'm not getting the same results. I used a rotary with a 4" LC Orange pad on the Benz and a 3 1/4 LC wool pad on my drill (which lasted all of 30 seconds on the police car) before it discintigrated into 1000 pieces

g35_coupe
05-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Your drill probably created more heat than a DA normally would, which destroyed your wool pad quickly. It will greatly depend on the make because plastics and their factory UV coating hardness will vary, as well as how that coating breaks down (making it easier/harder to remove). It would be difficult to make a clear opinion without seeing close ups of the oxidation you removed and your process. I haven't used the kit, but I have various compounds with wool pads to test if need be. However, I'm more of a wet-sanding type so I know all of the oxidation is removed and not being masked with any fillers some of the kits might have in them.

SANTA3013
05-19-2015, 01:12 AM
I have used the kit with little success. The pads were coming apart after doing one set of headlights.