PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating "scuff"

mcmanus
05-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Looking for some advice on this one.

Our vehicle was parked outside on a side street, upon leaving I noticed what looked like a dirty spot on the rear qrtr wheel well.

Upon further inspection it looked like a small scuff, when I got home I inspected it further. Sure enough it's a scuff that is almost 2 inches tall and 1/8th of a inch wide.

To repair I did the following steps:

1. Cleaned the area using griots speed shine (vehicle had just recently been washed)

2. Used griots paint cleaning clay to remove any further contaminants.

3. Started with Meguires Scratch X2.0 on a foam applicator, followed by a microfibre to clean it up.

4. Inspected and still saw marks.

5. Used Meguires Ultimate Compound with a circular microfibre applicator, cleaned with a microfibre.

Here is a before/after. The after you can see the marks. They do not seem to be deep at all (finger nail only catches lightly on the bottom two marks).

I only did one pass with the UC with light pressure (by hand). Any tips on getting the marks removed? Orbital?

Before
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd215/mcmanus7/IMG_5142.jpg

After
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd215/mcmanus7/IMG_5146.jpg

Eandras
05-18-2015, 05:08 PM
If your nail catches most likely the only way is wet sand or repainted. Are you using a DA polisher? If not you may want to try that to get better results.

Ed

mcmanus
05-18-2015, 05:26 PM
If your nail catches most likely the only way is wet sand or repainted. Are you using a DA polisher? If not you may want to try that to get better results.

Ed

There's only 1 spot where it lightly catches towards the bottom.

Only using elbow grease right now.

It has improved significantly where you can only see it in low indirect light.

I am contemplating picking up the Porter Cable 7424XP though.

medicscott
05-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Go with a flex if you are committing to spending the $$. Much better for paint correction.

mcmanus
05-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Go with a flex if you are committing to spending the $$. Much better for paint correction.

Seems like the price diff between the Porter or GG vs Flex is substantial. Not looking to do heavy paint correction.

medicscott
05-18-2015, 08:09 PM
You are correct. If $$ is tight go with the PC. But if you think you'll get serious and use often I highly recommend waiting until you can afford the flex. It's an amazing machine.

Ccrew
05-18-2015, 08:21 PM
I'd buy the GG over the PC personally. More power and a lifetime warranty (that they DO stand behind) on the GG. Yes, the Flex is nice, and I have one and a Rupes, in addition to a Flex rotary but there isn't anything you can't do with the PC or GG it's just that the Flex allows you to do it faster. That's huge when you do this for $, not so much when you're just maintaining what you have.

mcmanus
05-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks for both of your responses.

I'm actually leaning more towards the GG after looking online at reviews.

I just don't see myself using it that often (hopefully) to justify the extra $$ on the Flex.

I've had really positive experiences with GG's products in the past.

Having said that do you guys think this scuff is salvageable without wet sanding? I've done some wet sanding on other vehicles but I'm a bit hesitant considering its pretty much brand new (2015) and is a white metallic.

Ccrew
05-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Having said that do you guys think this scuff is salvageable without wet sanding? I've done some wet sanding on other vehicles but I'm a bit hesitant considering its pretty much brand new (2015) and is a white metallic.

I'd certainly try. Pictures unfortunately for this kind of thing will give you a rough idea, but that's about all. I'm always a proponent of taking the least destructive method first and I'd try a good mechanical DA buff before I'd do anything. You tried by hand but there's really nothing you can do to match a couple thousand orbits per second.

Wet sanding would be my last resort, and I'm not sure even then. New cars have thin thin thin clear coat that's easy to sand through.

There's the concept of "good enough" that's sometimes lost here in our strive for perfection. And that's just the reality that if you're going to examine the car with a magnifying glass you'll potentially still be able to find it - with the bigger reality that even if it's not all the way gone many people won't see it except you.

Think of it like the friends Saleen that's sitting here right now. Full detail on a black car but the golf ball sized dent on the hood he's fine with. It would drive me nuts.

mcmanus
05-18-2015, 09:28 PM
Yeah I always have a tough time with "good enough".

I'm ordering the GG 6" but it has a 2-3 week availability so will be awhile.