PDA

View Full Version : New car :(

Pages : [1] 2

Turbo5upra
05-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Hey guys! Long time lurker- first time poster... I've used this site a bunch for learning the basics and have been very happy with the results. I hope to get some advice today on a recent vehicle lease...
Feed back please
Last Thursday my girlfriend picked up a 16 cx5 grand touring in gray... Upon signing the paperwork we went out to put plates on it and go over the vehicle... This is when I noticed every panel had scratches in the clear- very slight but there none the less. (From either dirty wash water or drying device) The salesmen processed to tell me that they have some fresh out of school kid prepping cars and offers to take it in back to have it fixed... First thought is if you failed this bad just washing it I can't wait to see what happens when you try to correct it... So I politely say no worries I'll fix it myself...

I had to rush to work so I didn't even sit in the vehicle.. The next morning I paired my phone- from the first time I disconnected my phone it was struggling to load pandora (my phone is on mazdas list of supported phones and pandora is asupported app- everything on my end is current) come to find out that when you reconnect the paired device each time you need to acknowledge it on the phone which involves unlocking it...

Next up my girlfriend notices 2 dirty hand prints on the headliner- no idea where they came from but neither of us recall having touched that area or were in the car with dirty enough hands to have caused that...

Friday night I got home from work and we went to grab dinner- both phones were connected when we parked it at about 1:30am
Saturday morning it had forgotten both devices and would only reconnect to hers which has the last ISO version mine is current.

we dropped the vehicle off at the dealer as it has an electronic parking brake amongst other things and didn't want to find out while driving down the highway that it was either a loss of power or ground causing the issues- just being overly cautious on that...

So all that said- and taking into consideration nothing is perfect- would you guys be frustrated that the new car that you plan on buying after the lease is up as long as all goes well with it already needed scratches removed from the entire car- had spots on the headliner and the electronics seem to be having issues- and you only had it 2 days?

Don M
05-18-2015, 07:44 AM
So all that said- and taking into consideration nothing is perfect- would you guys be frustrated that the new car that you plan on buying after the lease is up as long as all goes well with it already needed scratches removed from the entire car- had spots on the headliner and the electronics seem to be having issues- and you only had it 2 days?

Heck yeah I'd be frustrated, I'd have THEM go over all the electronics AND the handprints on the headliner, (headliners can be a bear ... if you do them wrong, they could fall) but *I* would not let them *try to fix the paint, but would do it myself.

Setec Astronomy
05-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Um...first...just on GP's...you should be going over the car BEFORE you sign the papers. Second...the electronics, everything is software today, it may be that an update will fix that. Swirls in the paint--well, same as every other car the dealer has the plastic off of (cue SYMAWD to come argue that). The headliner is tougher--maybe you can get them to just replace that.

Turbo5upra
05-18-2015, 09:19 AM
Um...first...just on GP's...you should be going over the car BEFORE you sign the papers. Second...the electronics, everything is software today, it may be that an update will fix that. Swirls in the paint--well, same as every other car the dealer has the plastic off of (cue SYMAWD to come argue that). The headliner is tougher--maybe you can get them to just replace that.

Thanks guys! Oversight on my part- the vehicle had come in off the truck for us- I didn't think I needed to do a once over on a new vehicle but hind site says I should have.

Waiting to see what they have to say.

BradsDetailing
05-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Hey guys! Long time lurker- first time poster... I've used this site a bunch for learning the basics and have been very happy with the results. I hope to get some advice today on a recent vehicle lease...
Feed back please
Last Thursday my girlfriend picked up a 16 cx5 grand touring in gray... Upon signing the paperwork we went out to put plates on it and go over the vehicle... This is when I noticed every panel had scratches in the clear- very slight but there none the less. (From either dirty wash water or drying device) The salesmen processed to tell me that they have some fresh out of school kid prepping cars and offers to take it in back to have it fixed... First thought is if you failed this bad just washing it I can't wait to see what happens when you try to correct it... So I politely say no worries I'll fix it myself...

I had to rush to work so I didn't even sit in the vehicle.. The next morning I paired my phone- from the first time I disconnected my phone it was struggling to load pandora (my phone is on mazdas list of supported phones and pandora is asupported app- everything on my end is current) come to find out that when you reconnect the paired device each time you need to acknowledge it on the phone which involves unlocking it...

Next up my girlfriend notices 2 dirty hand prints on the headliner- no idea where they came from but neither of us recall having touched that area or were in the car with dirty enough hands to have caused that...

Friday night I got home from work and we went to grab dinner- both phones were connected when we parked it at about 1:30am
Saturday morning it had forgotten both devices and would only reconnect to hers which has the last ISO version mine is current.

we dropped the vehicle off at the dealer as it has an electronic parking brake amongst other things and didn't want to find out while driving down the highway that it was either a loss of power or ground causing the issues- just being overly cautious on that...

Yep. I expect a new car to be the way it rolled out of the factory with some miles on it. Everything else you mentioned is totally avoidable and should not be expected. If you let this go then the people who did this will not learn and we will all suffer.

And as mentioned, you should be looking the car over during the day before you sign paperwork. THis should not have to be done as the dealer should be trusted, but they can't be now.

Setec Astronomy
05-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Yep. I expect a new car to be the way it rolled out of the factory with some miles on it. Everything else you mentioned is totally avoidable and should not be expected. If you let this go then the people who did this will not learn and we will all suffer.

That's not the real world, dealers don't get it and that's not going to change (because the general public doesn't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel, as Mike Phillips says). The best we 'Geeks can hope for is to get a car with the plastic on it and minimal correction that needs to be done.

LaFawnduh
05-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Maybe I just got lucky but I recently leased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee - doing the negotiation over the Internet - so just told the Internet sales manager I just want to inspect before buying and leave it as is.

Well he had it detailed before I got there and my stomach sank for a moment. But to be honest, although he looked at me like a nut when I put a Baggie over my hand to test the paint, their detailer did a decent job. Except for one small buffet hologram over an odd angle around the gas cover by the fender, there wasn't a spider web or scratch to be found. They should have clayed it better but overall not bad. Once I clayed and did an eraser wipe down before sealing, I found they didn't even use something with fillers to hide imperfections.

So, to OP, I have been in your shoes before on the car I just turned in... Very frustrating and many man hours were spent perfecting it - but my most recent experience was a pleasant surprise given the horror stories I hear around here.

I'd at least request some sort of free service or gear for the inconvenience.

custmsprty
05-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys! Oversight on my part- the vehicle had come in off the truck for us- I didn't think I needed to do a once over on a new vehicle but hind site says I should have.

Waiting to see what they have to say.

Always do it, something could happen in transit. My left side wheels on my Genesis Coupe were curbed by the guy taking it off the hauler and I caught it during my walk around and had them replace those.

The problem is now you have to hound them to make it right and you already signed the lease.

PS I wouldn't advise on buying the vehicle once the lease is up, those transactions rarely work out in favor of the buyer.

Turbo5upra
05-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks again guys... The vehicle was covered in pollen and road grime as I didn't want to add damage I could have done into the mix... The owners son saw the marks and genuinely seemed to care... He wants to "fix the paint" with his detailer/ body guy down the street- he is calling me tomorrow to discuss his method of repair and products to be used- call me crazy but I don't want a rotary buffer any where near the car due to past issues...

For the radio its all hands on deck with Mazda- the regional rep- and the dealership as it was screwing up while he was car...

Removing clear off of a brand new vehicle isn't my ideal solution but he seems to want to make it right- offered extras for the trouble... I might just take him up on a set of weathertechs and ????

custmsprty
05-19-2015, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't let them touch it. My advice is find a forum member near you who has a shop or is mobile, have them give you an estimate. Take it the estimate to dealership and have them pay for it. I have yet to see a body shop that truly knows how to correct paint properly.

Klasse Act
05-19-2015, 09:41 PM
First off, congrats on the new ride, I really like the CX-5's, didn't know the 16's were out already.

I WOULD NOT LET THEM EVER TOUCH THE CAR! Fix the paint yourself, its easy as Mazda paint is pretty soft. When it goes into service for anything make sure you tell them NO CAR WASH and even make a sign for it when you go in. Its really shocking that these dealerships let any yahwho prep expensive cars and yes, I consider any brand new car expensive! Its the 2nd most important purchase you make and for some, a new car is everything to them.

Enjoy the new ride and hope you get the pairing thing worked out, the tech is not yet faultless yet, sucks!!!

Turbo5upra
05-20-2015, 06:38 AM
So... Since the one shop in the area that I feel comfortable with doing the work seems to have closed- (called a few times and stopped by but the building was empty) does this offer sound reasonable? They have a Toyota dealership and I need a pile of parts for my suspension rebuild... Do I correct the damage myself and take my labor and materials out in trade for parts I need or is that a liability I don't need to get myself involved in? I'm confident I can do it correctly but am I opening a can of worms?

Thanks again guys!

Don M
05-20-2015, 06:49 AM
I personally wouldn't let them touch the paint. Period. Let them "make it up to you" in another way. What you could do is ask them to "fix" ONE PANEL with you watching to see what they are going to do. That way you could stop them at anytime you feel they are creating more issues than they are fixing.

That would be my first choice, THIS would be option #2:

I wouldn't let them touch it. My advice is find a forum member near you who has a shop or is mobile, have them give you an estimate. Take it the estimate to dealership and have them pay for it. I have yet to see a body shop that truly knows how to correct paint properly.

If I was close to you, I'd do it for free (you supply the cold beverages) with you helping.

Turbo5upra
05-20-2015, 07:27 AM
thanks for offering to lend a hand... I should be able to tackle this- I have a Porter Cable- and most of the materials needed to do it- just need some new pads and compounds that i'm running low on. (just not sure I should get involved in it)

here are a few pics of previous work- input is appreciated :-)

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsessdclga.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslfhcwfas.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfuxnq0iq.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspbhwhulw.jpg

Don M
05-20-2015, 07:46 AM
thanks for offering to lend a hand... I should be able to tackle this- I have a Porter Cable- and most of the materials needed to do it- just need some new pads and compounds that i'm running low on. (just not sure I should get involved in it)

here are a few pics of previous work- input is appreciated :-)

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsessdclga.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslfhcwfas.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfuxnq0iq.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/turbo5upra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspbhwhulw.jpg

Well, you have the skills to fix it alright. The ball's in your court as to what happens next, good luck.